PDA

View Full Version : Missed out on a possible job because of anxiety

ozm8ey
10-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Hey' well last year i did a certificate III in civil Construction course even though I had anxiety and panic attacks. a couple of days ago I decided to apply for a job. I applied and uploaded my resume and a day later I got a phone call from them, but when my phone rang I somehow knew it was the job but my heart started racing. I didn't answer but they left a voice message. So pretty much I missed an opportunity to get a job, all because of anxiety. People wonder why I dont have a job.

gypsylee
10-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Hey there :)

Don't beat yourself up over it.. Anxiety can be totally debilitating. I go from being quite high-functioning to someone who can barely leave their room because of it. It's a horrible thing and even after 20+ years of it (not including the years before I saw a doctor about it) I still haven't beaten it. Sometimes you just have to hang in there and try not to add to it.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

fixmybrokenmind
10-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Sorry to hear that! I went to school for welding and when I got into the industry it revved my anxiety through the roof. Needless to say I am out of the trade now so you can say I missed out on a career now if that makes you feel any better :P

Zena
10-12-2016, 01:56 AM
I've missed out on several opportunities because of anxiety so you're not alone. Good job getting through the course in spite of your anxiety, though. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Tomorrow is another day and another chance to start to again.

Kirk
10-12-2016, 05:18 AM
I agree with Zena, that tomorrow is another day and a chance for a fresh start.

zoeara
10-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Congratulations on getting your certificate, that's an amazing achievement. I've certainly missed out on a truckload of opportunities so like others have said, you're not alone.

gypsylee
10-12-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there - maybe you weren't meant to get that job. Anxiety has stopped me from doing a hell of a lot of things and forced me to end many relationships, and sometimes I think maybe I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. I have some pretty "out-there" beliefs and think maybe anxiety keeps us on the right path sometimes.

...I'm sitting outside and a little lizard appeared in the sun as I was writing that ;)