PDA

View Full Version : Food, Allergies and Anxiety

ponato
10-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Im posting this in the middle of a full blown food/allergy anxiety attack to really emphasize things.

I have not had a panic attack since 2005. I am bipolar, have not been in clinical depression for 15 years. My anxiety is in check 99% of the time. I have a youtube channel where I talk about how I overcame various mental health issues and have talked to groups from an "Ive been there" perspective on going from 17 hour a day panic attacks and clinical depression to fully functional. I just wanted this noted again for emphasis.

Im 50 years old now, when I hit 40 I started getting allergic reactions to things that I had no issue with ever. Today, at this moment actually, is one of those times. Its Thanksgiving here and I ate plate after plate of food which included stuffing and cranberry sauce. Im not the brightest at times as I should have seen this coming. Cranberries and the stuffing are HIGH HISTAMINE foods. Histamine causes allergic type reactions which in turn cause anxiety and sometimes can mimic even panic. It took years of anxiety, but I found out that most of my anxiety issues are food/allergy/histamine issues. For me it causes flushing, dizziness, bad head space, severe stomach issues and everything tightens up. Its essentially the same as anxiety and close to panic from my past. Now I can get through this cause I know its my own fault with the foods I ate and ate so much. It still sucks though, as we all know anxiety at a high level sucks.

I wanted to make this post to make people aware that some of your anxiety may be related to food/histamine/allergies. The symptoms are super similar to anxiety attacks. For me, I had to find out the hard way through self experimentation with food to see what affected me. Also, windy days affect me as allergens get into the air and into my system. I take a spray called rhus-toxico-dendron 3times a day to help me, its some kind of anti histamine natural spray. Seems to help.

Anyways, I hope this helps some people. Im not really affected by other things anxiety wise that others might be, family issues, money, what have you. I just deal with those with my "What Makes Sense" philosophy. Feel free to ask me anything while I sit here and wait for this issue to pass and throw out the rest of the cranberry sauce and stuffing