PDA

View Full Version : Making Excuses for Not Drinking While on Meds

Amazed1
10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Hi. What reasons do you all give for not drinking in social situations where drinking is customary?

I've been taking 10mg of Lexapro for about 4 months. Prior to starting the medication I was a social drinker, but I have not had a single beer or glass of wine since. I am very fearful about mixing alcohol and meds. Now with the holiday party season approaching, I anticipate that some people will ask my why I'm not drinking. And in certain settings I don't want to reveal that I'm taking anxiety medication. Does anyone have any good stock excuses for not drinking? I guess what I'm looking for is a convenient little white lie.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kirk
10-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will need to discuss drinking while on Lexapro with the prescribing physician to be on the safe side.

Ponder
10-02-2016, 02:07 AM
It's a no brainier that meds and alcohol do not mix. Full credit to you for giving your meds a chance to work. I understand your want for a white lie in order to curb an otherwise uncomfortable situation.

You can still be honest without the need to elaborate - "Srry, I don't drink!" If that's too hard or embarrassing for you:

Google a medical condition - however once you complicate your excuse you could be opening yourself up to more a an uncomfortable situation than what your trying to avoid.

If you have a car/license ... you could claim that your driving?

You could mention medication for something else other than anxiety?

You on a health kick!!!

http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/35-moms-to-be/topic/not-drinking-alcohol-excuses-required.html

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/best-excuses-for-not-drinking/

Good luck with finding more. - I understand where you are coming from. ;)

PS - WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

Linda Marie
10-02-2016, 01:24 PM
just order a straight sparking soda water with ice - while no one is next to you. believe me the bartenders understand and will not say a word.. the gas in it looks like it might be a gin and tonic. Honest.

Amazed1
10-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the great tips!

Anne1221
10-02-2016, 06:54 PM
And add to that tip, ask the bartender for a sparkling soda water with ice, with a lime twist. That really looks like a mixed drink.

Kirk
10-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Many people mix alcohol and prescription medications and ignore any risk.

salvator here
10-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. Should be common sense to not mix, I know all too well myself, but sometimes Its easier said than done when life is crashing around me. Besides; alcohol in itself is a depressant and counterproductive to the medication purpose in the first place. Its a vicious cycle for those of us mixing this dangerous combo. When I find myself drinking with (or in place of meds), I know its a sign of disaster up ahead - just sayin'

Good luck and be safe and strong.