PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety due husband's sound sensitivity. Please help!

emyk
10-01-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm losing my mind. My husband has always been able to hear way better than most people, but since we bought our new house, he hears a new sound every day. He focuses on a sound and it keeps him from being able to do anything else. I have become a ball of anxiety because of it. I am always just waiting for him to hear something. I spent last night lying in bed next to him, awake, because knowing he is asleep is the only way to calm my anxiety. Every time he moves I wake up because I know he probably heard a sound and he's going to be up all night trying to figure out what it is. I need help. Does anyone know how to help sound sensitivity? I work nights, and I'm anxious at work because he texts me in the middle of the night about how much he hates himself. I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Em

Kirk
10-01-2016, 01:29 PM
My internal medicine physician told me that any time anxiety interferes with your normal routine on an ongoing basis,
it is time to consult with professional help. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Linda Marie
10-01-2016, 01:39 PM
I have done the in bed thing waiting for him to fall asleep also.

emyk
10-01-2016, 05:50 PM
I have done the in bed thing waiting for him to fall asleep also.

Honestly, some times it's easier for me to fall asleep when he's asleep, but last night it was like I needed to just listen to him sleep. So I didn't sleep. It's awful.

emyk
10-02-2016, 11:03 PM
I am going to a new doctor on Tuesday, and I will discuss the anxiety stuff with her. Unfortunately, treating my anxiety is not going to help my husband. Has anyone ever heard of someone having such focused sound sensitivity? He is literally driving himself crazy, trying not to focus on the ambient sounds in our house. He can't watch tv or play video games anymore, and since he is unemployed right now he is always there. He is always dealing with it. Any advice would be wonderful.

Kirk
10-03-2016, 06:36 AM
He probably has too much time on his hands as he is unemployed, which is most likely contributing to his anxiety. Once he
he gets a job again, I bet he will get back on track.