PDA

View Full Version : Really scared

Jodie23
09-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Hello I am new here, I thank you you in advance for reading this.

I dont really know where to start as this is all new to me :(...I am a happy out going person, with a lovely family and only really have the usual worries in life (like bills etc). I like to have a drink at weekends but 2 weeks ago I decided to stop drinking, its been much harder on me than I thought, I am 36, healthy (as far as I know) and enjoy life.

For the passed two/three weeks I have starting feeling really groggy, keep getting hot and cold sweats, a really foggy head (almost all the time), I wake up feeling crap, I feel sick, I just generally feel as though my body is not mine and its scaring me, I feel like I cant think straight. I try to stay busy with work and my 8 year old son, but sometimes I cant remember what I did 2 hours ago or how I got to where I am now, its really really scaring me. I hate this feeling and I feel like I want to cry. Im also experiencing tingling feelings in my face and lips which feel like a sort of burning sensation

What made me google today and find this site was, I was just out food shopping and as I was waiting in the queue to pay i had this huge rush come over me and felt like my colour was draining from me and that I was going to pass out, I felt like I was not in my surrounding, I was going to leave my shopping and get out of the shop but I didnt, I just let the feeling pass, but it was horrible, so so scrary...I thought everyone was looking at me...my heart was racing and i went all sweaty, it did pass and I am still alive :)....I feel completely drained now and want to sleep and my foggy head is still here not leaving me alone :(

Really I guess I am just wondering if anyone else feels this way and what I can do to make it go away, I just want to feel "normal" and aware of my surroundings.......its really horrible, I feel like I am just existing at the moment and I have no idea why this is happening...Sorry if this makes no sense, I am just typing as I think :( xx

Thank you for reading this

Jodie xx

Anne1221
09-11-2016, 07:09 PM
It sounds like you have anxiety. It sounds like you had a panic attack at the store in the line. It's good that you stopped drinking but do you think that was suppressing your anxiety but now it's coming up? You may have to find new and healthy ways to deal with your anxiety.

gypsylee
09-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Hi Jodie and welcome here :)

This does sound like anxiety/panic but maybe you should get a blood test or something to rule out other causes? You say it started when you stopped drinking but you only drank on weekends? If you were drinking every day (like I used to) I'd say it's not surprising you feel like that but for someone who can stick to weekends I'm not so sure. Did you drink a lot on weekends?

Anyway, yes, what you describe sounds like a panic attack and the fact it happened in the supermarket queue sounds like social anxiety. Basically your body is reacting in the same way it would if a bear was about to attack you (fight, flight or freeze) but all that's really happening is you're standing there in the supermarket! For some subconscious reason though, you feel threatened. Then to make matters worse your rational mind doesn't understand, so you feel like you're going mad or something. It's really scary and I've had this my whole life pretty much (I'm 42) and it STILL freaks me out.

I'd go and talk to your doctor about it (assuming you have a regular one who you feel comfortable with). Meanwhile, just know you are definitely not the only one with this!

All the best,
Gypsy x

Kirk
09-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like anxiety, but it may not be a bad idea to run your symptoms by your physician.

FudoMyoo
09-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Welcome and know you are not alone. I too have ran out of the grocery store with a full basket and had to abandon it mid shopping, you did well for fighting it but it must have been awful. I also especially get anxiety in lines and places where I feel stuck, like traffic or elevators. See your physician like others suggested and monitor you're environment for the time being, like where you are if you have these feelings or thoughts again. The more information you can attain the better. But if you can't because it is very over whelming it is understandable. For now the best thing to do is take care of yourself

Nowuccas
09-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Hey Jodie23,

It seems likely that the cause is panic (if lasting for around 25 minutes) or anxiety attacks.

Another forum member provided the following useful information:

Common Anxiety Symptoms - AnxietyCentre.com

Here are some of the many symptoms associated with anxiety disorder (because each person has a unique chemical make up, the symptoms and their intensity will vary from person to person).

The Member's area of this website contains explanations on what causes many of these symptoms and why they occur:
Body

* Burning Sensations throughout the body
* Chronic Fatigue
* Electric shock feeling
* Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
* Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
* Feeling cold or chilled
* Hyperactivity, excess energy
* Increased or decreased sex drive
* Muscle twitching
* Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
* Numbness or tingling in hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
* Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
* Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
* Startle easily
* Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
* The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
* Trembling or shaking
* Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
* Warm spells
* Weak legs, arms, or muscles

Chest

* Chest pain or discomfort
* Concern about the heart
* Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
* Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
* Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
* Heart – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat, palpitations

Head

* Dizziness or light-headedness
* Frequent headaches, migraine headaches

Mind

* Desensitization, depersonalization
* Fear of going crazy
* Fear of losing control
* Fear of impending doom
* Feelings of unreality
* Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
* Having difficulty concentrating
* Obsession about sensations or getting better
* Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
* Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
* You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"I just generally feel as though my body is not mine" - I can't be sure that depersonalization is one of your symptoms, but my post showing some therapeutic coping techniques may be viewed at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34597-Here-we-go-again-chronic-hyperventilating-feeling-hopeless-and-helpless

ANXIETY ATTACKS or PANIC ATTACKS: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34755-Panic-attacks-that-last-for-hours

GENERALISED ANXIETY DISORDER: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-New-to-the-site-and-looking-for-help&p=223989#post223989

"The Quick Guide to Stopping Panic Attacks", (by another forum member) is at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks&highlight=admin

Hoping something in the above helps.