PDA

View Full Version : social fears

aqualung
01-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Hello, this is the first time I have ever done this, but here goes. I guess for the most part my fears stem from being in front of a group of people and speaking or having to speak. For example, I received a jury notice the other day and all I can think about is having to be put up in front of the group and having to answer questions. Another example is when going to a seminar and having to introduce yourself....just the anticipation of having to introduce yourself makes my heart pound, shortness of breath and shaking....Can anyone tell me what is the first step in trying to stop this?

shoe
01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
hi aqualung, i have the same problems. I get all shaky and my voice gets shaky and I get all out of breath etc when I have to do something like that. The anticipation in waiting for my turn to speak makes it even worse.

As for what you can do, I'd say to first see a therapist, and they could help you to overcome these fears. Basically you want to find out whats at the root of the fear, and then expose yourself in small safe steps to the things you fear until you can finally face it on your own.

Some people think its best to just throw yourself out there and keep trying until the fear subsides. I know for me that does work, but only in regards to certain things.. like answering phones at work, etc. I believe that kind of thinking might lead you to the 'Toastmasters Club', a club that helps you face public speaking fears.. by doing it :unsure: http://www.toastmasters.org.

The therapist will be your best bet though to get started on the right track, and they might even be able to give you a 'get-out-of-jury-duty-free' note, hehe ;)

aqualung
01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks alot shoe, that helps!!!!