PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety at work.

Ripley66
09-04-2016, 09:07 PM
My office is actually pretty alright. You would think any person would jump at the opportunity to work in an office where you have pretty relaxed hours and freedom to show up late and not have to panic calling in with some explanation. I think the environment is something I should like, but I can't. The second I am in there I can feel my jaw tense up, my heart races. It all feels like a dream. A bad dream - a dream where everyone is pretending. The lights are unnatural, the personalities are not genuine. Meetings are about nothing and trigger the mother of all panic and fear - not on a social or even claustrophobic level but I feel as though my anxiety problems have dabbled very deeply into the existential these days. Existential dread, it would seem - what is this? Why does everything feel so unreal all the time? Why is derealization so terrifying? I feel like Lester Burnham from American Beauty.
Does anyone else have problems with anxiety in the workplace? Like you are separated by a thin shield of paper off in the corner while everyone else appears so blissfully content in all things they do? The staff parties, the meetings - all completely normal to them but for someone like me it's enough to want to scream into a pillow and straddle the edge of insanity.

Anne1221
09-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Are you absolutely fine any time you're away from the office?

Kirk
09-05-2016, 07:10 PM
I am the opposite as sometimes I feel better going to work as it helps keep my mind occupied
with constructive thoughts.

The Intolerable Kid
09-06-2016, 07:19 AM
When that happens I just try and focus on taking things one at a time. Go task by task, even though it might be hard to concentrate. Make sure you're getting enough sleep the night before. Examine your caffeine intake, are you not getting enough in the morning? Are you getting too much? Try to relax a little at work and good luck.

Kirk
09-06-2016, 07:57 AM
I agree, getting enough sleep is important, as it may allow you to deal with things better.

Naor
09-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Ripley66
Could you describe please a day which you don't work? How does it feel?

cloudy black
09-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Ripley66 gosh that sounds exactly like how my youngest bro talks, similar situation. he is close to cracking i think. but then he took the plunge earlier this year to move 90 mins away from where his work is and is trying to start the "good life.." as his way of escaping the work shite. but at the mo he is still commuting to his work place. long story. so he has put such a stress load on himself i am really worried about him.

Talia_Jo
09-14-2016, 10:17 AM
I can definitely relate with the feeling that everyone else has it all together, while everything is a struggle for me. I think you'd be surprised how many other people are dealing with internal stresses and anxieties that we just can't see. People are good actors! I wish I had some good advice for you as far as dealing with anxiety at work, but unfortunately I struggle with that as well. I'm happy to listen though, if you ever need a sympathetic ear.

gypsylee
09-14-2016, 07:04 PM
My anxiety is so bad atm I can't even imagine working! I'm on a disability pension because of it. I'd like to do some volunteer work with animals or something though.

You mentioned American Beauty.. Have you seen Fight Club? You could probably relate to that guy as well. I personally think there's something wrong with people who DON'T have depression/anxiety in this day and age..

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ― Jiddu Krishnamurti

DarthGeorge
09-18-2016, 10:34 PM
I feel the exact way when I have anxiety at work, but I'm a sous chef! I also agree that going to work helps me keep my mind off of my mind so to speak...but I only drive 15 minutes to work and sometimes feel the "can't escape" fear where if I have an attack, my "safe zone" is 15 minutes away and I have to drive!

Kirk
09-19-2016, 06:40 AM
I have in the past had a few clients where they bothered me so bad that I had to leave the office for a couple of hours. Thank
goodness this has happened to me rarely.

Kirk
09-19-2016, 06:42 AM
I try to take a power nap every day for 15-30 minutes when I am in the office and this gives me the
ability to put up with more crap if I have to.

MiST
09-19-2016, 07:41 AM
If I try and take a nap during the day, almost as soon as I start drifting off, I wake back up gasping for air! Not sure what that's all about.

Kirk
09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Sometimes when I take a power nap, I feel ill when I get up. Mist, I am not sure what the gasping for air is about. I would
think maybe stress or a post nasal drip. My wife tells me that I snore sometimes, which may mean I have sleep apnea.

MiST
09-19-2016, 09:06 AM
I think my breathing just becomes extremely shallow, so my body just forces me awake to grab a good lung full of the good stuff..

Scary though, I do not like!

Kirk
09-19-2016, 09:27 AM
I would not like it either!