PDA

View Full Version : Need help for elder brother

kristein657
08-16-2016, 05:54 AM
I need help for my elder brother. He was in a state of depression and anxiety 10 years ago. He had some loss in business and to overcome all tensions and fear he started using alcohol. We tried to stop him but he did not listen to us. After some years he met a girl and they both started dating. We all were happy for them as he quit alcohol and started a normal life. It was his 6th anniversary and we all thought of celebrating it but she told she can't come for the party because of some family get together. On the same night, my brother went outside and came back fully drunk. We were really shocked to see him like that. He cried in front of us and told that she bitched him. It was like someone stabbing with a knife and no one talked anything. He again started to drink and his behavior became very aggressive at times. I felt like he is having some bipolar disorder. His mood swings very fast and we cannot predict how he will react. He became addicted to alcohol and we tried our best to convince him to quit. He then gave up and said he is ready to quit alcohol. But recently his mood swing has become more aggressive. My mom said he is having bipolar disorder and needs to be treated. She has asked me to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist in our locality (British Columbia). But I have read in an article that those who shows withdrawal symptoms will have bipolar disorder. So I was thinking about making him undergo an addiction treatment from Edgewood centre in British Columbia. As I saw on their website they have treatments for bipolar disorder. What do you think about this? Should I ask my mom to take him to an addiction centre? Is addiction the only factor for this disorder? Is there any other way to help him to come out of this situation? Will he be able to come back to normal life after finding a better partner?