PDA

View Full Version : Questions on White Coat Syndrome

Christopher22
08-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Ok to anyone who has WCS or who gets anxious/nervous at the doctors should you be taking beta blockers or nerve medication? Currently I'm on Atenolol 25mg because of my *white coat* at the doctors and I'm wondering if I would benefit more from taking nerve meds *as needed* since I only ever get anxious at the doctors office. How has the doctor been treating your WCS? Were you put on beta blockers, nerve meds or were you not put on any meds at all? thanks everyone

Nowuccas
08-16-2016, 04:26 AM
The situation is complicated by the fact that atenolol is also used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure):

From https://www.drugs.com/search.php?searchterm=Atenolol&sources%5B%5D=
Atenolol (Tenormin) Uses, Dosage, Side Effects Consumer Information
Consumer Information (Drugs.com)
"Atenolol (Tenormin) is in a group of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation (blood flow through arteries and veins). Atenolol is used to treat angina (chest pain) and hypertension (high blood pressure). It is also used to treat or prevent heart attack. Atenolol may..."

I would be strongly against the use of a beta blocker for White Coat Syndrome, due to possible severe side effects; see
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/atenolol-side-effects.html

I suggest that you check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=mercola%3B+hypertension&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 such as:

Five Smart Strategies to Lower Your Blood Pressure Naturally - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/.../five-smart-strategies-to-lower-your-blood-pressure-naturally.a...
Feb 3, 2009 - In this video, I explain the causes of high blood pressure, and how you can keep your blood pressure under control in safe and effective ways.

Your Doctor Is Raising Your Blood Pressure Reading - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/.../confirm-blood-pressure-readings.aspx
Oct 28, 2015 - "White-coat hypertension" is a term used for when a high blood pressure reading is caused by the stress or fear associated with a doctor or ...

I also suggest that you take psyllium husks daily, as directed; check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=psyllium%3B+hypertension&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 such as:

Psyllium improves dyslipidaemia, hyperglycaemia and hypertension ...
link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12349-009-0056-1
by AFG Cicero - ‎2010 - ‎Cited by 20 - ‎Related articles
Psyllium improves dyslipidaemia, hyperglycaemia and hypertension, while guar gum reduces body weight more rapidly in patients affected by metabolic ...

49 Plants That Treat High Blood Pressure | Wild Foodism
https://wildfoodism.com/2014/01/02/49-plants-that-treat-high-blood-pressure/
Jan 2, 2014 - Regardless, if you experience hypertension and think that you have tried every ... Preliminary research shows that a daily 15 gram psyllium ...

When blood pressure is reduced to a safer level, wean off Atenolol with medical advice.

Kirk
08-16-2016, 07:03 AM
What you have is quite common. Some studies have shown that up to 20% of people have WCS. People fear a bad diagnosis,
being in a compromising position, etc.

Kirk
08-17-2016, 07:11 AM
I have a internal physician I really like and trust and he is a concierge physician now, so he does not rush me out. My wife, myself and our daughter have been
seeing him since 2003 or so. In 2015 he became a concierge physician. We pay a one time fee a year; $1,650 for my wife, $1,650 for me and $300 for our
daughter since she is under 30. We can text him, call him or email him with any issues at anytime and he gets back to us pretty quickly. I like having access
to a physician like that and to me it is worth every penny. He is very friendly and I feel very comfortable with him.

gypsylee
08-21-2016, 02:42 AM
I have a internal physician I really like and trust and he is a concierge physician now, so he does not rush me out. My wife, myself and our daughter have been
seeing him since 2003 or so. In 2015 he became a concierge physician. We pay a one time fee a year; $1,650 for my wife, $1,650 for me and $300 for our
daughter since she is under 30. We can text him, call him or email him with any issues at anytime and he gets back to us pretty quickly. I like having access
to a physician like that and to me it is worth every penny. He is very friendly and I feel very comfortable with him.

I have a GP and a Psychiatrist, both of whom I feel quite comfortable with. The GP actually seems to me like he should also be seeing the Psychiatrist LOL and the nurses there have confided in me what a nightmare he is to work with.. He's kind of manic and I think being a middle-aged, white male doctor has given him a bit of a "God Complex" haha. But he's also much more open-minded than many doctors, so he and I have a pretty good (albeit strange) relationship. The Psychiatrist I've seen for so long he's like an old friend basically. He's a bit jaded with his work I think and just works part-time now, but yeah I'm comfortable with him also.

So I have to wonder if this "white coat syndrome" is caused by the OP feeling uneasy with medical practitioners because of their manner. I can totally understand that and have seen a few that have made me feel like crying and walking out, seriously. It must also be worse in the US because at least our healthcare is still very accessible. I pay nothing to see my GP and about $30 to see the Psychiatrist. So I'm thinking it would be harder to switch doctors over there if you don't like them.

Cheers,
Gypsy x