PDA

View Full Version : Super Odd Thing Occurring For Me - Any feedback or Thoughts Would Be Appreciated

rferg5210
08-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

So, I have never actually been diagnosed with any kind of anxiety disorder. I don't believe that I have any actual consistent and chronic anxiety. However, for some reason something very strange has been occurring that I can't seem to figure out how to get over.

So, there was one day where I was heading to work, driving on the highway, and felt like I was getting sick. Ever since that particular time for some reason when I drive to work, and this has been happening the past two or three weeks, I somehow feel like I'm going to throw up every single time, only in my car, once I get there I'm fine and coming home I'm fine. However, twice now it was so bad I actually caused myself to throw up all over myself in my car, which is disgusting I know.

This is literally the only anxiety I really feel. I have typical worries like most people, no one is anxiety free but I never have had anything like this occur other than specific times where I'm doing something fearing like giving a speech or something and even then it's usually not so bad that I feel sick.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any insight about this or had it happen to them? My best guess would be that I'm literally having anxiety about the anxiety itself and causing myself to feel sick for no reason at all. I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I clearly don't need medication and I doubt therapy for such a specific occurrence would even make sense.

Kirk
08-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like it is anxiety related as it only happens at a particular time. I really have no insight into this occurrence.
Maybe you should talk to your regular physician about what is happening.

Nowuccas
08-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Hey rferg5210,

A previous post follows:

To help prevent nausea and vomiting: boil a tablespoonful of grated ginger root in a pint/650mls water; cool and add a little honey (preferably 100% Manuka honey; Google it and check it out; from health food stores, some pharmacies & supermarkets) and freshly squeezed lemon juice; sip slowly. Rinse your mouth with water after sipping. Keeping some with you may provide a degree of reassurance. Discard unused mixture after 3 days. Can be refrigerated for several days, or can be frozen, in batches, for longer term storage. Google: "nausea and vomiting; ginger"

Options:
Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum 24 Count by Sea-Band
Nature's Way Ginger Root, 550 mg, 100 Capsules by Nature's Way
Prince Of Peace Instant Ginger Honey Crystals (1x10 BAG) by Prince Of Peace
The Ginger People Gin Gins Ginger Hard Candy 3 oz candy by The Ginger People
from amazon.com

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has Overcome Motion / Travel Sickness.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It seems similar to the way people develop emetophobia (fear of vomit / vomiting). My previous post about it may be viewed at: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34930-About-Me&p=228597#post228597

My suggestion is as follows:

Learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] or mercola.com has a locator). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself)." or words of your own choosing.

I'd use the technique selected in the car before departing, then have a sip of ginger, or ginger candy, and also consider playing some music that you can sing along with, as a way of avoiding focusing your mind on something undesirable.

Anne1221
08-01-2016, 11:34 AM
The ginger candy is a great idea. My friend gets hers at Trader's Joes, but I forgot the name. She and all her friends swear by it for nausea. Try a health food store like Whole Foods.

rhodeliais13
08-17-2016, 10:00 AM
You could be starting to have emetophobia. I have emetophobia and I've read enough about it to know that there are many different types. Some people are only afraid of themselves throwing up, some people afraid of when other people throw up. I am mostly afraid when other people do it, and I can't watch movies with v scenes. I won't go to the the theatre anymore after watching freaking Hotel Transylvania 2. Then you know mine is much more severe. You could just be carsick, so if you think ginger chews will help, they probably will. But catch it if you think it's anxiety related. Just put on some music and don't think about it, because mine has gotten to the point where I think about it all the time and all my nightmares have v. It's taken over my life a great deal. If you think it's just carsickness, SEA BANDS. Sea bands are my savior. They're small wristbands that push down on pressure points and they help immensely.
I hope this helps! Not trying to worry you, there's a good chance you're not emet at all.