PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and PTSD?

NitroPorsche
07-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Today I saw something I never want to see again and it is haunting me. So around 8 months ago my dad suddenly passed away and I developed severe anxiety. It's mostly a fear of dying and medical issues. So I went to Walmart today and on my way out I saw a man on a stretcher outside an Applebee's who had passed away and the mortician was taking away the body. This vision has been giving me nonstop flashbacks and has heightened my anxiety BIG TIME! I'm now becoming afraid to eat in fear of choking. Wishing I would have never seen that. Does this sound something like PTSD? My heart aches for the family of that man and I wish I could've given them a hug. I know how it is to suddenly lose a loved one and I would never wish it upon anyone. I'm still scared and having frequent flashbacks. By the way, are headaches and head "pressure" associated with anxiety? Kinda feels like someone is giving my head a bit of a squeeze. Is this something to worry about? Thanks, JD

Nowuccas
07-31-2016, 01:34 AM
Hey NitroPorsche,

"The signature cluster of symptoms for PTS is the "re-experiencing" that takes the form of spontaneous repetitive flashbacks, nightmares and/or intrusive thoughts. These are not coming from the part of the brain where normal memories are stored, but are stuck in a more primitive, survival-based section of the brain, where they neither fade nor shift, but stay contemporaneous and current and terrifying. And you can't talk your way out of them with the best counselor or therapist in the world. Wrong chunk o' brain. You need imagery, hypnosis, acupoint release, energy work, etc etc. The other 2 symptom clusters of PTS - avoidance/numbness and alarm/ hypervigilance - can be symptoms of other conditions as well. But this is not so with re-experiencing."

PTSD: See http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34480-My-Near-Death-Experience-and-Post-Traumatic-Stress-(panic-anxiety)&p=226428#post226428

I suggest that you learn the Heimlich manoeuvre, in case you ever choke on food; check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=Heimlich+manoeuvre+on+yourself&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Follow these steps:
Make a fist with one hand. Place your thumb of this hand below your rib cage and above your navel.
Grasp your fist with your other hand. Press your fist into the area with a quick upward movement.
Heimlich maneuver on self: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001983.htm

Watch YouTube videos, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIiEAn7b-U

FEAR OF DEATH: View http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34530-Please-reply-to-this&p=226511#post226511

The Intolerable Kid
08-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Sorry about the loss of your Father. Unfortunately, we can't go through life avoiding death. To paraphrase Emily Dickinson, if you can't stop for Death it will kindly stop for you. Events of this type often cluster together.
For difficulty eating, try starting out with something like ice cream. For the rest, try not to dwell on what you can't change, especially is regards to strangers. Attempting to shoulder humanity's collective suffering is absolutely not compatible with your SA.

SGTMom0508
08-03-2016, 05:19 PM
JD,

Let me start by saying how sorry I am to hear of the sudden loss of your father. That experience will take a toll on anyone, and can alone cause much stress and anxiety. Witnessing what you did at Applebee's is something most people go their whole lives without seeing or experiencing. Add those two events together, and I can completely understand having some anxiety, and possibly PTSD. As a combat veteran, I have a deep empathy for those who are struggling with PTSD. There is certainly a heightened awareness of it due to the high number of combat veterans currently suffering. While awareness should bring understanding, unfortunately in the case of PTSD, I personally believe that it has brought about a stigma. There is absolutely NOTHING abnormal about have some post traumatic stress after experiencing a traumatic experience, and everyone's threshold is different based on several individualized details. I would strongly encourage you too seek out a qualified counselor with experience with PTSD and anxiety. It is really helpful to just get some validation about what you're feeling, as well as getting a chance to walk through it with someone who can really help you understand why these reaction occur. I truly hope you can find some peace and respite from this.

2teck
08-04-2016, 10:16 AM
JD, Let me start by saying how sorry I am to hear of the sudden loss of your father. That experience will take a toll on anyone, and can alone cause much stress and anxiety. Witnessing what you did at Applebee's is something most people go their whole lives without seeing or experiencing. Add those two events together, and I can completely understand having some anxiety, and possibly PTSD. As a combat veteran, I have a deep empathy for those who are struggling with PTSD. There is certainly a heightened awareness of it due to the high number of combat veterans currently suffering. While awareness should bring understanding, unfortunately in the case of PTSD, I personally believe that it has brought about a stigma. There is absolutely NOTHING abnormal about have some post traumatic stress after experiencing a traumatic experience, and everyone's threshold is different based on several individualized details. I would strongly encourage you too seek out a qualified counselor with experience with PTSD and anxiety. It is really helpful to just get some validation about what you're feeling, as well as getting a chance to walk through it with someone who can really help you understand why these reaction occur. I truly hope you can find some peace and respite from this. lên cho anh em cần