PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondriac and ALS

Jesse Standard
07-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Hello,

Im Jesse, im 22 and new here. Recently ive been really struggling with anxiety pretty bad. I have had anxiety for years but the last few weeks have just been unbearable almost. About a month ago i started getting strange pains in my neck, they werent pains of a sore throat but more just pain on the sides of my neck. Wasnt sure what it was so i went to the doctor and they did some blood word as well as throat swabs and let me know that i had strep (even though i didnt have a sore throat which was weird). So i took penicillin for a week and about 3 days into that i got a really bad cold. Now all this time i was scared and really thinking i had cancer because while i was dealing with this a few lymph nodes started to swell up. Anyways i got over all that and my anxiety started to recede somewhat. But as you know its just so hard to beat this crap and i noticed one morning just how weak i felt, mostly in my arms and upper legs. My knees felt shaky, my upper arms were almost sore to a point where i was scared to pick things up and i felt just incredibly weak. I went and played a round of golf and by the time i was finished i felt like i was about to collapse with how weak i felt. Sometimes i cramp up in my thighs as well Since then its been up and down. Some days i feel okay and some days i feel like i cant get out of my bed. So of course being the idiot i am i look up stuff and what do you know, i have every symptom of ALS. So the last two or three days ive just been in utter panic about this. Cant hardly eat, sleeping horribly with nightmares, chest pain and trouble breathing, panic attacks. All of it. I had been dealing with anxiety for awhile and i really did do my best to manage it well, besides the one part which is health anxiety. No matter what i do i just cant beat it. I got over a lot of my social anxiety, and even GAD in recent years but this i just cant beat the HA. Im not even sure what im looking for in replies but i just needed to talk since i really have no one to talk to about any of this. Can anyone give me some advice on just how to deal with this? Do i have freakin ALS and should i see a doctor to test for it?

gypsylee
07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Hi and welcome :)

I've seen a lot of people here with health anxiety freaking out about ALS (especially after that bucket challenge thing!) I'm much more of a social anxiety person so I don't have any good advice for you really.. Other than DON'T GOOGLE SYMPTOMS! That even sends me into a panic. I think ALS is extremely rare though..

Anyway, I mainly just wanted to welcome you.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

Anne1221
07-29-2016, 08:45 PM
I think you're fine. You were able to play a round of golf! Anxiety can make you feel weak.

Kirk
07-30-2016, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have actually known of individuals who have had ALS, and your symptoms were nothing like theirs.
I would try to move forward, enjoy yourself and move forward.

Kirk
07-30-2016, 05:31 AM
One person who was a fit male in his 40's suddenly could not open a jar or a soda bottle. Another woman in her 60's
suddenly had her legs give out from under her. Another man I knew recently who was in the legal field suddenly had slurred speech.
All had the beginnings of ALS.

Kirk
07-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Of course those symptoms could also indicate another less serious disorder. As you know, it is not good to self diagnose.

Nowuccas
07-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Hey Jesse,

I agree that ALS is highly unlikely, and your symptoms can be readily explained as resulting from anxiety spectrum disorders.

"In their first report, researchers estimate the overall prevalence of ALS is 3.9 per 100,000 people in the United States, with the highest prevalence (17.0 per 100,000) among those aged 70 to 79 years."
First US Prevalence Data on ALS www.medscape.com/viewarticle/828861

Anxiety spectrum disorders, however, are much more common, with around 5% - 10% of people suffering from them.

Another forum member provided the following useful information:

Common Anxiety Symptoms

Here are some of the many symptoms associated with anxiety disorder (because each person has a unique chemical make up, the symptoms and their intensity will vary from person to person).

The Member's area of this website contains explanations on what causes many of these symptoms and why they occur:
Body

* Burning Sensations throughout the body
* Chronic Fatigue
* Electric shock feeling
* Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
* Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
* Feeling cold or chilled
* Hyperactivity, excess energy
* Increased or decreased sex drive
* Muscle twitching
* Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
* Numbness or tingling in hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
* Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
* Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
* Startle easily
* Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
* The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
* Trembling or shaking
* Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
* Warm spells
* Weak legs, arms, or muscles

Chest

* Chest pain or discomfort
* Concern about the heart
* Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
* Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
* Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
* Heart – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat, palpitations
* Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough

Emotions

* Dramatic mood swings
* Emotional blunting
* Emotions feel wrong
* Frequently feel like crying for no reason

Fears

* A heightened fear of what people think of you
* Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
* Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
* Fear of being in public
* Fear of dying
* Fear of losing control
* Fear of impending doom
* Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
* Fear that you are losing your mind
* Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
* Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
* Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
* Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
* Need to seat near exits

Head

* Dizziness or light-headedness
* Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
* Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
* Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* Giddiness
* Shooting pains in the face
* Shooting pains in the scalp or head
* When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
* Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache

Hearing

* Frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
* Low rumbling sounds
* Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head

Mind

* Desensitization, depersonalization
* Fear of going crazy
* Fear of losing control
* Fear of impending doom
* Feelings of unreality
* Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
* Having difficulty concentrating
* Obsession about sensations or getting better
* Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
* Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
* You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders

Mood

AnxietyCentre.com

* Always feeling angry and lack of patience
* Depression
* Feeling down in the dumps
* Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike
* Frequently being on edge or 'grouchy'
* Frequently feel like crying for no apparent reason
* Have no feelings about things you used to
* Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
* You feel like you are under pressure all the time

Mouth/Stomach

* A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
* Choking
* Constant craving for sugar or sweets
* Constipation
* Diarrhea
* Difficulty swallowing
* Dry mouth
* Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat
* Feeling like your tongue is swollen
* Frequent upset stomach, bloating, gaseous
* IBS
* Lack of appetite or taste
* Nausea or abdominal stress
* The thought of eating makes you nauseous
* Tight throat, lump in throat
* Vomiting

Sleep

* Difficulty falling or staying asleep
* Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams
* Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake
* Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
* Jolting awake
* Waking up in a panic attack
* You feel worse in the mornings

Sight

* Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
* Dry, watery or itchy eyes
* Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes
* Eyes sensitive to light
* Spots in the vision
* Flashing lights when eyes are closed
* Your depth perception feels wrong

Touch

* Numbness
* Pain
* Tingling, pins and needles feelings

Other symptoms are described as:
Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:
• Having a heart attack
• Having a serious undetected illness
• Dying prematurely
• Going insane or losing your mind
• Harming yourself or someone you love uncontrollably
• Being embarrassed or making a fool out or yourself
• Losing control
• Fainting in public
• Not breathing properly
• Choking or suffocating
• Being alone

(NOTE: Each symptom is further described and explained in the Symptoms Demystifed section in the members area.)

These are some of the more common symptoms, but this list is certainly not exhaustive.

It is common for people to experience one or more of these symptoms. While some may experience them all others may experience only a few anxiety symptoms.

Nowuccas
07-30-2016, 10:49 PM
A post about health anxiety follows:

Ask yourself exactly what evidence there is to support the idea that you may have such a disease, or is it just a baseless fear? What if you did have it. How would you cope? What then? Work it all out on paper. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind. After identifying, and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version. Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method.

Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, such as repeating: "I'll be just fine". Realise that by the act of viewing material about various diseases, you are implanting a suggestion in your subconscious mind that you may have it, It recognises a potential threat, and initiates the (formerly, in times long past) appropriate response; a "fight, or flight" reaction. Stop viewing such material. Practice a relaxation method, daily, and when needed, such as http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html or http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/mindbody/a/Meditation.htm
or www.wikihow.com/Meditate or Yoga Nidra, (no flexibility required) on page L at your-mental-health.weebly.com below, and see page Z for much more about hypochondria (panic attacks, and anxiety; see pages 1, h, & i). Qi Gong, Tai Chi, or regular yoga suits others better.

Give acupressure tapping / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at http://www.mercola.com "EFT" & "EFT therapists", or www.tapping.com (13 free videos) or www.emofree.com or YouTube EFT. Professionally instructed is probably best. - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (you could claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage/tapping your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have hypochondria, I deeply and completely accept myself."). These will enable you to emotionally centre yourself, when practiced regularly, and can also help you become a calmer, more self controlled person, who is less susceptible to such beliefs.

Read: Treating Health Anxiety: A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach by Steven Taylor Phd and Gordon J. G. Asmundson PhD, & The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death. by Gene Weingarten, & It's Not All in Your Head: How Worrying about Your Health Could Be Making You Sick--and What You Can Do about It by Gordon J. G. Asmundson Ph.D and Steven Taylor Ph.d, from your bookstore, or Amazon.com and there are other media, such as CD's & Kindle material, via their searchbar: "hypochondria".

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has: Overcome Hypochondria.

More about hypochondriasis may be found at http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/z.html where the above came from.

Nowuccas
07-30-2016, 11:07 PM
On completing any course of antibiotics, it's sensible to re-establish beneficial intestinal flora, (much of which was decimated by antibiotics) to reduce the risk of infections by harmful bacteria. Check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=mercola%3B+antibiotics+%2B+probiotics&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 such as:

Antibiotics Kill Your Body's Good Bacteria, Too, Leading to ...

How to Protect and Optimize Your Gut Bacteria? - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/13/nourishing-gut-bacteria.aspx
Mar 13, 2016 - Studies have shown that when you co-administer probiotics with antibiotics and continue the probiotic administration even after stopping the ...

How Your Gut Flora Influences Your Health - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/.../probiotics-gut-health-impact.asp...
Jun 27, 2012 - Maintaining optimal gut flora, and 'reseeding' your gut with fermented foods and probiotics when you're taking an antibiotic, may be one of the ...

Keep in mind that your gut bacteria produce a considerable proportion of your B group vitamins, a deficiency of which can cause anxiety.

Boosting your immune system by optimising vitamin D levels will reduce the amount and severity of diseases, infections, speed recovery from those you can't manage to avoid, and produce a better outcome in the vast majority of cases. See http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Immunity & http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D%2C+immunity+and+microbiome+%E2%80%93+Dec +2014+

My previous post about vitamin D may be viewed at: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34912-I-can-t-breathe-or-relax&p=228476#post228476

"Vitamin D3 Cured my Anxiety, Depression, and Panic Disorder", (by another forum member) is at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?12695-Vitamin-D3-Cured-my-Anxiety-Depression-and-Panic-Disorder&highlight=vitamin

If you want to minimise your chances of becoming infected, or having a recurrence of existing ones, you can make your body an inhospitable environment for the microbes causing them to reproduce in; see http://alternative-health.weebly.com/homemade-antiviral-antibacterial--antifungal-product.html

Muscle cramps are often caused by a magnesium deficiency; up to 80% of Americans are deficient (see http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_abso rption.html ).

Other relevant posts:

ANXIETY or PANIC ATTACKS: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34755-Panic-attacks-that-last-for-hours

GENERALISED ANXIETY DISORDER: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-New-to-the-site-and-looking-for-help&p=223989#post223989

HERBAL ANXIOLYTICS / ANTI-ANXIETY PRODUCTS: (passionflower, valerian, St. John's Wort, etc.) http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34269-5-Powerful-Tools-You-Probably-Haven-t-Tried-Yet&p=225415#post225415

NON HERBAL NATURAL (NON PHARMACEUTICAL) ANXIOLTYICS: (5-htp, etc.) http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34355-Help-Please!!!/page2