PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel douchey for having good posture?

Missanxious
07-24-2016, 06:55 PM
I am someone with an anxiety disorder who is prone to anxiety/panic attack. Whenever I have good posture in public I can just feel the eyeballs staring at me and staring at my back, so it makes me feel self-conscious and I kind of slouch in order to duck and hide in order to not be seen as a potential threat.

I have a deep seated fear that if I have good posture and things go wrong with somebody then I will have bad posture again and be "found out" as a big fake who isn't really what they pretended to be.

Anyone else give themselves bad posture because of your anxiety?

Anne1221
07-24-2016, 08:24 PM
This is something I think you should fight and not give in to the urge to slouch. No one is looking at your posture from behind. You need to stand straight and tall and not purposely slouch. You will not be found to be a fake because you aren't one. You will feel the urge to slouch but don't give in and straighten up. You certainly don't want to give yourself a real physical problem by purposely slouching.

Berry-Bamboo
07-25-2016, 02:00 AM
Don't focus on deciding how to posture yourself in front of someone. Focus on "why do you slouch?" I used to prefer slouching because I used to think my presence was meaningless. I had nothing to contribute to anyone. You should know the importance of who you are, and why you are there. Don't believe too much that you can't escape this prison, fear is just a way to show you what to focus on. Fear is your guide to strengthen your weakest positions. You feel douchey for having good posture because you are not honest with yourself about your feelings, stop hiding, and start accepting why you do things you do, and don't use those things as a shield. Honesty is a better tool than a weak pretence, not for someone else, but for you! To make you better.

Berry-Bamboo
07-25-2016, 02:02 AM
I find physical exercise improves on posture more than usual consideration about how to stand. Try different exercises to find the best way to beat your irrational fears.

PanicCured
07-25-2016, 03:03 AM
Congrats on the good posture!