PDA

View Full Version : NEW Anxiety Cause to Explore

PanicCured
07-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Obviously, I don't really post here anymore and I hope many of you are continue to improve your conditions. I still haven't had a panic attack in years so I am doing ok in that area and I still stand by my basic philosophy on the steps to become anxiety free. Basically that it involves a true healing process through supplements, behavior, knowledge, and pushing forward. I explain more details in stickies above, but I think if I could re-write those threads, I'd probably make them even way simpler. I'd like to add, for me, getting my over breathing under control by doing under-breathing Buteyko exercises definitely helped me too. And yes, DO YOGA IN A YOGA CLASS WITH OTHER PEOPLE! The key is seeing it as an anxiety healing process that you undergo for a period of time until you overcome it. Not a cure as in pop a pill, but a process similar to losing weight or learning a trade or getting a degree.

The process is the cure!

Anyway, something dawned on me and I thought I'd share. I never really looked at it quite like this, but I was thinking OCD may be a big part of anxiety. Maybe all that Googling, obsessing, needing reassurance, seeking that mythological safe place and safe person, etc., is a form of OCD. Now, I am not qualified to diagnose that, but I think it's an idea worth playing with. My philosophy is constant panic attacks is a result of a "crashed nervous system" that needs to be healed. A mix of mental, behavioral and over-senstized nervous system that needs to be healed little by little.

That is an unscientific way to say it of course. But what leads to that crash and what keeps it going? It just dawned on me, it may be a type of OCD for many people. That compulsion to keep needing reassurance and to know you are ok. Think how it is this obsession to know, seek, find, checking pulse, etc. And you follow these obsessions by doing the compulsions in hopes to get you feeling better or stopping the anxiety but they lead to a downward spiral. They do not make you better. Letting go and being still and relaxed will take you much further.

I always criticized the methods of this forum to focus on reassurance and not really move past that. I didn't think of it then, but now I wonder if that constant need for reassurance is a type of OCD.

So just wanted to relay these ideas for you to explore.

Why does this matter and how can it help? Although knowing the absolute root cause to anxiety may not be needed to get better, if we can recognize obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior, maybe it will allow us to see further into the whole illusion that drives the anxiety and not get so caught up with it

Your thoughts?

gypsylee
07-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Hi PC :) I'm back here after a long break too.

I think OCD/anxiety/addictions are all related because it's basically just the "reptillian" brain (Amygdala?) trying to avoid pain and discomfort. I will offer myself up here as a prime example because of my addictive tendencies. I also get a bit of OCD but nothing extreme. My forte is addiction to substances (alcohol/opiates/benzos). When my anxiety is really bad and I don't have any benzos or opiates to relieve it, I will drive to the bottle shop pretty much COMPULSIVELY for alcohol. It becomes all I can think about - and I guess that's where OCD and addiction overlap. When I'm in that state my thoughts spiral completely out of control and I can't think straight at all. The only thing I can think is "how do I stop this feeling?" and my answer is chemicals (weed doesn't agree with me, unfortunately).

Anyway, that's me and it's something I've been struggling with badly again this year.. Hence being back here!! (And hopefully we can keep things civil haha).

Cheers,
Gypsy x

Kirk
07-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Acceptance of your anxiety is key in trying to overcome it.

Boo Bass
07-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Acceptance of your anxiety is key in trying to overcome it.

Everyone reading this should listen to Claire Weekes

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html

NixonRulz
07-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Great post, PC. Cool to see anyone set in their ways keeping their minds open in any way to get to the answer

We all are searching but this post helps us all move forward

Well done

duonua1s
07-22-2016, 05:46 AM
mÃ*u nó đẹp thế nÃ*o ý chứ nhá»›t mình xÃ*i

Kirk
07-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi duonua1s. What language are you using? Can you communicate in English as none of us can understand you.

PanicCured
07-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Hi duonua1s. What language are you using? Can you communicate in English as none of us can understand you.

Obviously Klingon.