PDA

View Full Version : Unpleasant associations and more

LeopardShark
07-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Hey all,

So I have to get off my chest what has been bugging me lately...

What seems to be happening is that my thoughts would get muddled in an odd way. One of the worst things that seems to be caused by my anxiety is unwanted associations. Let's say, for example, when I think about something that never bothered me before, such as a specific action, and suddenly, out of the blue, my mind associated it with a vaguely similar, but unpleasant action. I know associated the neutral thing with an unpleasant thing, even though it was minor and unconcerning before. I then get stuck in a loop trying to disassociate the neutral thing from the negativity, thinking and straining to the point that I get a headache. It can happen with thoughts of scenarios which never bothered me before, but then start bothering me unbelievably when I somehow associate them with something unpleasant.

I also seem to be having trouble with a sense of helplessness, which leads to a feeling of inferiority. The thoughts associated with these feelings are often not knowing something about animals, feeling inferior to people who work with animals, and being anxious about going to places like zoos or safaris. Ironic, considering I love animals and as an artist, they are typically a source of inspiration to me. Normally I can put these thoughts aside, but suddenly it's bugging me.

Another thing I have noticed is that I will get hyperfocused on whatever is stressing me out, which leads to a nasty positive feedback loop of stressing myself out, focusing on stressful thought, rinse, repeat. Any advice on breaking the loop?

Nowuccas
07-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Hey LeopardShark,

A previous post follows:

Nearly everyone has negative thoughts sometimes. Negative thoughts often occur before negative emotions*. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, etc., by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Use the "Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts" - When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.
After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.
Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now", or "I choose to be more positive". I prefer: "Focus only on what to do now/next". Recommended reading: Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive by Barbara Fredrickson, & Negaholics: How to Overcome Negativity and Turn Your Life Around by Chérie Carter-Scott, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?" Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D. Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.
Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogSearch?cx=008953293426798287586%3Amr-gwotjmbs&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=negative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.
The key is persistence; over time the frequency and power of the negative thoughts will lessen, but will always recur occasionally, which is normal, and healthy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My previous post about GAD may be viewed at: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-New-to-the-site-and-looking-for-help&p=223989#post223989 *

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Another thing I have noticed is that I will get hyperfocused on whatever is stressing me out, which leads to a nasty positive feedback loop of stressing myself out, focusing on stressful thought, rinse, repeat. Any advice on breaking the loop?" - I suggest that at such times you employ Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Meridian Tapping Technique, or meditation, whichever works best, and is appropriate to the situation you find yourself in at the time.*

Once you are proficient in MTT /EFT, you could try using acupressure tapping in the open, in an unobtrusive way, by tapping on your thighs with fingertips as you walk, and subvocalising with your preference in wording.

WALKING MEDITATION:

Focus your attention on the feeling your feet make on hitting the ground as you walk for 15 - 20 mns. Note any thoughts which may enter your mind, without pursuing them. Gently return your attention to the task at hand. Your eyes should be directed at the ground several yards/metres in front of you, so your peripheral vision will detect anything that you need to respond to. A park, or sports field is ideal for this.

The advantage of this form of meditation is that you can receive the benefits of exercise, (see http://curetogether.com/depression/ig/treatment-effectiveness-vs-popularity ) meditation, and possibly be generating vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) if your bare skin is exposed to sunlight (view http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx ).

I find that it helps reduce distractions to repeat the mantra: "THE TASK AT HAND" with every 4 steps; 1 word for each step, at least for a while, and then focus entirely on the feeling my feet make on hitting the ground, and, if internal chatter occurs, return to repeating it, but you may find this unnecessary. You can select any other word, or short phrase you like for this, such as: "easy", or "Things are getting better".

Boo Bass
07-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Not trying to discredit the previous poster here, but challenging negative thoughts may not make them go away, but increase their importance. The key would appear to accept them all as thoughts only and not as reality. Read or listen to anything by Claire Weekes. Also more recently David Carbonell who debunks thought stopping techniques. This is not to say that they might work for some people.