View Full Version : I am having sever anxiety

strebe
07-13-2016, 08:00 PM
I am having sever anxiety I cant get it to stop I don't like it at all
Strebe

gypsylee
07-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Hi and welcome..

I know all too well how horrible it is to have anxiety which won't stop. Deep breathing can help and so can exercise but sometimes you just have to let it happen and try not to add to it. When I'm in the midst of an anxiety attack that won't stop I tell myself (sometimes out loud) that it's just chemicals in my body and I am safe. You see, anxiety disorder is just our natural "flight or fight" mechanism gone haywire. Your body thinks it's going to be hurt somehow but it's not, which actually keeps it going because if there was a real predator or dangerous situation you would do something about it but there's nothing there! If you can imagine it coming from your subconscious mind and trust that eventually it will stop, it will, but while you're in the midst of it your thoughts spiral out of control and the adrenaline just keeps coming. It's a really tricky situation and feels absolutely horrendous, but you are ok!

Hope that helps,
Gypsy x

Nowuccas
07-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Hey Strebe,

A previous post on anxiety follows, modified for you:

Limit "worrying time" to 30 - 45 mns, daily, possibly when you get home, or after your evening meal, but not too close to bedtime, after which, resolve firmly to refuse to worry again on that day. Understand that to do otherwise would be counterproductive to your mental health, and enjoyment of life. Having had your "worry time" for the day, you can just write down any more thoughts that come to mind, and say to yourself: "Well, I'll just have to worry about that tomorrow, won't I?".

It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately.

Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind. After identifying, and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method.

I'm aware of the opinion that inflicting pain doesn't prevent fear, but the intention is to reprogram, and establish a different way of thinking, by commitment to repetition. It usually takes around 25 to 40 repetitions to establish a new habit.

Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

Practice a relaxation method, daily, and when needed, such as http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html or http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/mindbody/a/Meditation.htm
or www.wikihow.com/Meditate and/or Tai Chi, Qi Gong, or yoga.

Give EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at *http://eft.mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos) or YouTube EFT. Professionally instructed is best. There is a version for use in public places*, (you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage/tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself."

Herbal remedies, such as chamomile, passionflower, or St. John's wort, (many brands contain insufficient hyperforin to balance its hypericum content; Kira, Jarsin, and Perika brands are recommended; take with a meal) are often effective, but the idea is (as with anxiolytic medication) to use them like water wings, or training wheels on a bicycle, providing initial support, and giving time for other treatments, such as therapy, and relaxation techniques, to take effect. See http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsatod/a/Anxiety.htm

Imagine, as vividly as you possibly can, that your concerns, anxieties, worries, fears, your self-recriminations, all the agonizing "I'm-so-Stupids"; every painful "I-can't-do-it", etc., are huge raging, hurtful bulls snorting and charging at you. You see them coming at you and you hold out your red matador's cape at arms length and simply let them charge right by. Every time they come at you, hold out your arm with the red cape and let them rage and snort and go right on past. A free E course in CBT for anxiety is at: http://ecouch.anu.edu.au/welcome

85% of people are suggestible, to some extent, so consider professional hypnotherapy, or more alternatives along such lines are at: http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/i.html where this came from; see the rest.

Try your bookstore, Amazon.com, or BarnesAndNoble.com for: How to Control Your Anxiety before It Controls You, by Albert Ellis, & Self-Coaching: How to Heal Anxiety and Depression, Joseph J. Luciani Ph.D., & Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, by Edmund Bourne, & Natural Relief for Anxiety: Complementary Strategies for Easing Fear, Panic & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne, Arlen Brownstein, and Lorna Garano, & The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg, & Managing Anxiety. Kennerley, Helen., and/or "Calm : a proven four-step process designed specifically for women who worry" - Denise Marek, Hay House, c2006. and/or "Women who worry too much : how to stop worry & anxiety from ruining relationships, work & fun" - Holly Hazlett-Stevens.

Emptyoystershell
07-18-2016, 08:47 AM
I got to this post late but I hope you are feeling better now. Remember to take really really deep breaths and tell yourself that the feeling will pass.