PDA

View Full Version : Post-Attack Symptoms

Nuri-chan
07-12-2016, 02:21 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with any kind of disorder, but I've been depressed and slightly anxiety ridden off and on most of the weekend and into this week. Last night I was having every panic/anxiety attack symptom under the sun on and off for 4 hours straight. Most intense I've ever had. Blurry vision, high blood pressure/rapid heart beat, this really weird and awkward radiating sensation throughout my whole body, I felt like I was gonna pass out or have a heart attack, die, you name it. It was so terribly bad, I was wanting to go to the emergency room but I tried my best to ride it out. Eventually, I calmed down and I was able to get some kind of sleep. Today, I woke up feeling okay.. but I would have these random moments of 'I am stuck in depression and I just can NOT get out' and I got really emotional, cried a bit. I just kept feeling like it wasn't ever going to go away and that I wasn't ever or unable to feel happy. Thankfully, that passed as well. My day goes on pretty normal.. but I keep getting random dizzy spells. They come.. then they go. Come, go. This has been happening all day and it's hard to NOT get nauseous, I just cannot get rid of this constant dizziness.. typing this right now is extremely difficult.

So my question: Does anyone else get constant dizzy spells the day after having a panic attack? What exactly causes this and how can I counter it? Napping or sleeping for me right now seems out of the question, even when my eyes are shut, I feel like I NEED to open them. It's hard to explain. It makes me feel like I'm going to.. end up going blind, I don't know, I just need to get them open. Then I get slapped with dizziness. I've been trying to stay hydrated, been trying to eat healthy (as I normally do), my appetite hasn't been normal all week. I'm trying to breathe deeply, slowly, etc. I just cannot kick these dizzy spells at all.

Nowuccas
07-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Hey Nuri-chan,

Depression and anxiety often occur together, and "I felt like I was gonna pass out or have a heart attack, die", as well as dizziness are all symptoms of anxiety attacks. Panic attacks only last for around 25 mns.

Anxiety Attacks:
An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:

Discomfort or pain in the chest, Vertigo or
Dizziness, Upset stomach / Nausea, Loss of
Control, Loss of Mental Stability, Stress,
Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
near heart attack, Shallow breathing, Shakes / Trembling.
Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Also learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from anxiety attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

Meditation can also help with depression, and anxiety; my previous post about it may be viewed at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?35052-never-ending-panic-please-help with my post on depression at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?32707-has-this-happend-to-you&p=216510#post216510

Anxiety can cause high blood pressure, (hypertension) but not for extended periods. You would need to take your blood pressure multiple times over the course of several hours, including on awakening. The hypertension can cause blurred vision.

Anxiety can also cause rapid heart beat (tachycardia):

Tachycardia can be part of the body's normal response to anxiety, fever, rapid blood loss or strenuous exercise. It also can be caused by medical problems, such as an abnormally high level of thyroid hormones, called hyperthyroidism.
Tachycardia Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options
https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/tachycardia.html