PDA

View Full Version : never ending panic please help

Emptyoystershell
07-11-2016, 01:58 PM
I am ruining everything I have and every relationship I get into because of my violent anxiety. I currently take Klonopin and it has helped me dramatically but there is just so much anxiety and I do not want to take anything else. Without Klonopin I could not keep a job or take care of myself. Plain and simple. I do not abuse them and I never take more than supposed to.

I am having such a hard time with everything lately. I am absolutely terrified of being alone. There is something about being by myself that scares the living shit out of me and I don't know why. I really hate the hell out of it. This post is going to be a bit all over the place because my heart is racing and I want to throw up.

My point is, I am about to being going through a time of being alone a lot.... a lot a lot. I am so scared. The very thought of living somewhere alone is making me freak out inside but once again I have destroyed another relationship and I am almost sure that I will have to be gone by the end of this month.

I need everything you have to give me. My therapist told me I'm the worst case of generalized anxiety disorder she has ever had. I need it all please, coping techniques, comfort, friendships, support, motivation. Literally all of that stuff right now. I am terrified.

Saldav
07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
I am ruining everything I have and every relationship I get into because of my violent anxiety. I currently take Klonopin and it has helped me dramatically but there is just so much anxiety and I do not want to take anything else. Without Klonopin I could not keep a job or take care of myself. Plain and simple. I do not abuse them and I never take more than supposed to.

I am having such a hard time with everything lately. I am absolutely terrified of being alone. There is something about being by myself that scares the living shit out of me and I don't know why. I really hate the hell out of it. This post is going to be a bit all over the place because my heart is racing and I want to throw up.

My point is, I am about to being going through a time of being alone a lot.... a lot a lot. I am so scared. The very thought of living somewhere alone is making me freak out inside but once again I have destroyed another relationship and I am almost sure that I will have to be gone by the end of this month.

I need everything you have to give me. My therapist told me I'm the worst case of generalized anxiety disorder she has ever had. I need it all please, coping techniques, comfort, friendships, support, motivation. Literally all of that stuff right now. I am terrified.

Just remember my friend you are not alone, I've been in your spot so many times. Look on youtube for technics to help you with your anxiety. If it helps you any im going through some bad anxiety right now to and it makes me feel scared. I haven't got out of bed in two days. If you want to talk please message me.

Anne1221
07-11-2016, 05:46 PM
You will be okay. Even if you're alone, try to get out and talk to neighbors or go to the stores around you, just be where other people are at and that helps.

gypsylee
07-12-2016, 04:26 AM
Hi there,

This is quite relevant to me at the moment because I have been isolating myself. I prefer to live alone because other people inevitably cause me stress, but I've been by myself for too long lately and getting bad anxiety and depression. There are always people to talk to online and it helps, even if it isn't as good as being face to face.

Also, I reckon I could give you a run for your money on being the worst case of generalised anxiety disorder!

All the best,
Gypsy x

Nowuccas
07-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Hey Emptyoystershell,

A previous post follows, modified for you:

"There are some differences between anxiety and panic attacks. While books are written on this topic, the following will attempt to summarize some basics here for a brief overview".

Anxiety Attacks:
An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:
Discomfort or pain in the chest Vertigo or
Dizziness Upset stomach / Nausea Loss of
Control, Loss of Mental Stability Stress
Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
near heart attack Shallow breathing Shakes / Trembling
Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Panic Attacks:
On the other hand, a panic attack does not carry with it that "always there" association. In fact, panic episodes generally burst forth, peaking after roughly 10 minutes or so, then ending after about 25 minutes. During a panic attack, 4 of the symptoms listed below (in no particular order) generally make an appearance:
Hyperventilation, Shallow breathing, even to the point of
suffocation sensation...
Increased heart rates Tightness of chest, Chest pain or discomfort
Shakes / Trembling / Sweating Choking
sensation Upset Stomach / Nausea Vertigo
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Surreal feelings Loss of Control, especially
of mental faculties Death coming on Numbing
Cold or hot flashes

The Difference:
The main difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks is in the duration of the attack and how intense it is for the person with the affliction. While anxiety attacks are less hi-stress, they tend to last longer than the power-packed panic stressors".

If panic, learn an anti-panic breathing method before another attack, so you are proficient.

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: ( count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown*.

Also learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from anxiety / panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

* REPROGRAMMING:
Use the Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

I'm aware of the opinion that inflicting pain doesn't prevent fear, but the intention is to reprogram, and establish a different way of thinking, by commitment to repetition. It usually takes around 25 to 40 repetitions to establish a new habit.

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?"

Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D. Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has: Overcome Fear of Being Alone, and one about stopping negative thoughts.

Check out http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHowTo?search=stop+negative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*

------------------------------------------------------------

Many people, if not most, need to feel the freedom; to have the personal space to be alone from time to time, and to deny that freedom to them is to put extreme pressure on the relationship, and risk driving them away.

To that end, I suggest that you learn, and practise meditation as an anti anxiety measure:

Use the relaxation methods at url]http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/mindbody/a/Meditation.htm[/url]
or www.wikihow.com/Meditate or the Yoga Nidra, (actually a meditative practice; a series of simple mental exercises only; no flexibility required) at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34171-Questions-relating-to-troubles-with-meditation&p=224951#post224951

Some people are still dismissive of them, but scientific testing has demonstrated conclusively that they increase activity and may, after regularly practising for a couple of months, result in a thickening of the walls of the prefrontal cortex, and better enable it and the hippocampus to control the amygdala, which is the fear centre of the brain, where panic attacks originate.

Learn them at least a few hours apart, and preferably on different days, in the morning, or early afternoon. Use the one you find most effective. A minimum of 10 mns is recommended; 15 is better, and 20 is ideally preferred. Optimal results come from use twice daily, morning, and early afternoon, if possible, but once is fine, and is probably more realistically achievable in most households today.

Nowuccas
07-12-2016, 09:12 AM
My previous post about Generalised Anxiety Disorder may be viewed at: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-New-to-the-site-and-looking-for-help&p=223989#post223989

Long term use of benzodiazepenes such as Klonopin carries a considerably increased risk of dementia, so once you are proficient in anti-panic attack and anti-anxiety techniques, I suggest that you very slowly wean off them, which may take more than a year. http://theroadback.org has an Ebooklet on it.

HERBAL ANXIOLYTICS: (passionflower, valerian, St. John's Wort, etc.) http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34269-5-Powerful-Tools-You-Probably-Haven-t-Tried-Yet&p=225415#post225415

NON HERBAL NATURAL (NON PHARMACEUTICAL) ANXIOLTYICS: (5-htp, etc.) http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34355-Help-Please!!!/page2

azaleigha
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, friend. I know how hard it is when it feels like there's no solution. Has your therapist given you any ways to help control your anxiety when it gets overwhelming, beyond just the medication you're taking? Sometimes listening to relaxing music, or going for a walk outside can be really helpful just for a few minutes of "reset," so to speak. Have there been any coping techniques that have worked for you in the past? You mentioned that it's affecting your relationship - do you know specifically what happened to say that you "destroyed" the relationship? Sometimes we can project our own thoughts and fears onto others who might not actually feel that way. I don't know your situation, obviously, but have the two of you really been able to talk about your anxiety and how it affects things? I'm so sorry though that you're feeling so alone, either way. You are not alone. The community here is great, and I'm sure that it will be a help for you to be here. Hang in there, friend. We're here for you, and I'll say a prayer for you.

Anne1221
07-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't understand what "violent anxiety" means. Do you get violent when you get anxious or do you just have very bad anxiety?

Anne1221
07-13-2016, 01:56 PM
You are giving such good advice to others on this forum; I don't know how you're doing it even though you're struggling yourself.

Emptyoystershell
07-14-2016, 07:42 AM
i take .25 mg a day and i am starting to take them every other day.

Emptyoystershell
07-14-2016, 07:44 AM
I am just an extreme control freak because of my anxiety and nobody can handle it. I try so hard not to be but when I care about people they seep in to my worries too.

Emptyoystershell
07-14-2016, 07:45 AM
I mean violent attacks by when I start panicking I throw up and I have to lay down because I start shaking so bad. They are pretty constant if I don't occupy my mind with something else but I can't avoid them forever.

Emptyoystershell
07-14-2016, 07:45 AM
You are giving such good advice to others on this forum; I don't know how you're doing it even though you're struggling yourself.

I just don't want anyone to have to suffer. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Emptyoystershell
07-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Sorry I didn't realize I had to click 'Reply with Quote' so there are some thing I responded to floating around.

Anne1221
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Oh, I see. Yes, anxiety does affect our relationship with others. It affects our lives in so many ways. I understand completely. Thanks for explaining.

Spaceturtle
07-17-2016, 06:09 PM
I too can give you a run for your money on being the worst case. Everyday is a battle and I am getting tired. I also am alone most of the day. :(
I am pretty convinced that my chemicals in my brain are so out of whack that I can be a test subject for modern medicine research.

Kirk
07-17-2016, 07:55 PM
The therapist should not be saying to you that you are the worst case of GAD she has ever had. That is not professional of her at all.