PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and work

tara6720
07-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Hi,
I am quite an anxious person and take medication to manage anxiety. I often do not like to be in social situations outside my comfort zone but I find lately my anxiety is so much worse at work and is now largely work related. I am a few months into a new job. I am a trainee. I found It difficult to get work after doing a degree in uni and had to change career direction and I am now working as a trainee auditor in accountancy I like my job sometimes but most times it seems overwhelming and I get ill thinking about It. I overthink things too much and my head goes numb. I don't know if its me or the job! The job is a good opportunity for me. A part of me thinks If I learn more and settle in I will grow to like It and then there is also a part of me that wonders how much more I can take! and I sometimes think this line of work doesn't suit me. I don't know if I like the scary corporate world all that much:( Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share of anxiety in the workplace ?

Anne1221
07-06-2016, 08:57 PM
I can assure you of this...always, always jobs get better/easier. You may not like a particular job, or you may not like your co-workers, but by going in and trying day after day after day, things will start to fall into place. Then you can figure out if you like it or not.

psych_student92
07-07-2016, 02:23 AM
What was your degree in? Definitely give your job a little bit more time, it's always overwhelming at first (especially if it's in a field that is not specifically what you are interested in/have studied for). But no job is worth feeling awful everyday, if you're still feeling overwhelmed in a couple more months it might be time to move on!

tara6720
07-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi Anne 1221. Thanks. Yeah i think perhaps you are right. I had quite a really bad day yesterday but today wasn't so bad! I can only give It my best shot.

tara6720
07-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks psych student 92, I think i will try my best and if it doesnt work out Its not the end of the world :) I had a much better day today so i am feeling happy plus its nearly Friday !

Emptyoystershell
07-11-2016, 02:05 PM
I was terrified at my job when I first started. I could not stay calm at work and had to leave constantly because I just couldn't cope. I am now medicated and feel a lot better but I also have gotten much more comfortable at work. I think it will get a little better with time depending on how much you like or dislike it. Good luck to you my friend.

The Intolerable Kid
07-12-2016, 06:58 AM
The corporate game is inherently crooked, just try to play it straight. Try to break overwhelming tasks down into smaller units and take them on one at a time. Take a deep breath when you feel overwhelmed. Due to workload, I used to work through my breaks, but that is a bad idea. Just take things one at a time.