PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!

FreddieM
07-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I came across this forum from researching anxiety and panic attacks and picked up some helpful tips regarding techniques and different approaches. I figured why not make an account and share my experiences from this horrible feeling!

I had my first panic attack when driving to work at the beginning of the year. I noticed my heart was beating faster than normal a week before. But at that moment the first thought I had was 'I'm going to die'. My heart was beating very fast, I had a cold sweat and I was trembling. I pulled over the car and rang an ambulance straight away, but the person on the other end of the line managed to calm me down and informed me it was most likely a panic attack that happened. I got back in my car and slowly drove to work but had a few feelings where it felt like my body was about to shut down. From there, my heart was beating faster than normal, but I went straight to the doctors who prescribed me beta-blockers, which I took for 2 months and also referred me to therapy.

I have made plenty of lifestyle changes since that day - I have stopped smoking, took up swimming and the gym, took up golf, drinking less alcohol (I stayed dry for 2 months), eating healthier and forced myself to do things which make me uncomfortable. I am now drinking Chamomile/Green tea and taking Magnesium and Passion Flower supplements (thanks to a few threads on this forum!).

Don't get me wrong though, I still feel anxious more than normal at certain times but I challenge these thoughts and make sure they don't interfere with my life. It took me a couple of weeks to get back in the car. I drove past the spot were I had my panic attack a couple of times and felt my anxiety kicking in, but after so long I managed to overcome this fear and can now get in my car without thinking about it (and don't associate the attack with driving anymore either). I have had episodes ever since but I control these by breathing in through my nose really slow, and exhaling from my mouth really slow. Talking to people has also helped aswell - I've spoken to loads of people who have been through the same thing and I never knew how common it is.

Thank you for reading my post, I look forward to picking up more advice on the forum :)

brooklyn3383
07-03-2016, 07:20 PM
That's awesome for you! I too had an experience a couple of weeks ago, and since then I have cut off caffeine, sodas, fast food, & junk foods! I've started working out, sleeping more, drinking lots of water and chamomile/green tea as well! I also started taking magnesium supplements and have felt better each day little by little! It's only been a week! I still get waves of panic/anxiety, but they seem to be getting smaller and less constant. I've been reading up on the whole magnesium deficiency all day today and it all makes so much sense! I did not want to go the prescribed meds route if I could help it! This forum along with friends and family have helped a lot! I'm glad you got your story out there, all I can hope is that people follow and try to better themselves not only on the outside, but inside as well! Best of luck!

FreddieM
07-04-2016, 02:36 AM
Hello Brooklyn,

It's great to hear you're feeling much better! - I still feel jittery every now and then (especially if I'm not doing anything as my mind tends to wander alot) but exercise releases the excess adrenaline and I've never felt anxious when working out. I'll be looking into Amino Acids too as I have read these are a big factor in stress response too.

Thank you very much for the reply!