PDA

View Full Version : Very Scared...please help me...

Firebirdman2200
10-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Ok, let me begin. I have generalized anxiety disorder and some mild depression. I have been on Effexor XR for a couple of years now. I recently have encountered some terrifying symptoms.

My eyesight has always been very good. I never have had any problems. Recently, a worry appeared in my head about my eyesight. After a while, I noticed my eyes began to feel strained and they ached around the eye sockets. Then it became very hard to focus on certain things. It's as if my eyes jump around or everything's moving too fast. I don't have any headaches with these symptoms. Just the aches around the eye sockets.

I woke up early this morning, had an extremely busy day and tonight I really started to freak out and my eyes feel exhausted. Is it possible that I've stressed them out? When I usually don't think about it, I feel perfectly normal. Then when the thought arises again, the eyes start to give me some trouble. I find myself constantly checking my symptoms and researching them online to self-diagnose myself with terrible things. What are some ways to make this go away? I need reassurance that this is normal. Thank you!

P.S. Glad to have found this place! What a great way to stay connected!

JoeCalm
10-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Hello,

I had pins and needle and hot skin sensations around the left eyeball once ... with sight pressure and pain in the sinus cavitites around the eye socket. It was definitely anxiety. I've had it pretty bad .. the anxiety and hypchondriasis. The only way I know to get relief outside of meds is to ignore it. It cannot hurt you. Don't perpetuate the cycle of pain by constantly searching for diagnosis and monitoring your symptoms continually. It, anxiety, feeds off of that. When anxious, I always noted that my perspective was turned atypically inward. I knew I had to refocus it outwards and take in the whole world. When I diverted my attention away from it ... and quit feeding the beast ... the sensations and discomfort dissipated, and I recovered. Good luck with your recovery.

northstar
10-12-2008, 02:50 AM
hi firebird, and welcome :)

i'm sorry to see you so stressed at the moment. anxiety makes us hypersensitive to anything going on in our bodies and often tiny aches and pains can be blown out of proportion in our minds and even though we know it's irrational it's hard not to worry.

but firstly if you're experiencing eye strain or difficulty focusing then i suggest that you visit your doctor for a checkup, they can rule out any problems for you. it may be something as simple as needing glasses or then change in the seasons with the weather going from warm to cool, leaves falling creating more debris in the air or windy weather may just be drying your eyes out and something as simple as a bottle of eyedrops may help :) it's best to look at all solutions with a doctor rather than jumping into google and thinking you may have some horrible disease.

and secondly are you getting any psychological help for the irrational worrying? it can be hard to stop that on our own, i found psychotherapy very helpful for it and other people really benefit from cognitive behaviour therapy. it's worth looking in to.

i hope you're feeling better soon :)

Jay12345
10-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey there.. this is quite common..My brother used to worry about being sick, so therefore he was sick.. this went on for a about 5 years.. It's exactly same concept.. If you worry about your eye sight or worrying about how you feel, it will only bring it on!

You need to accept that a thought has NO relation what so ever on your health. A thought is a thought... it does not mean reality. Eyes will regularly get strained and ach, which is perfectly normal. (Eg, Your said when you don't think about it, your perfectly fine!)

The worst thing you can do is constantly monitor yourself and research symptoms online as this will only strengthen the anxiety..

'worrying about worrying' is extremely common... :)

Adive:

Go out as much as you can, KEEP your mind occupied and active so drifting is reduced.. Don't change your lifestyle to suit how you feel.. just live.

Try to accept your thoughts as simply thoughts, and nothing else... and i promise you, you will see a difference in your performance.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress! :)

:goodjob:

Firebirdman2200
10-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words and well wishes. I did go out and live life today. My eyesight was perfect. No problems at all. I had my mind occupied on many other things and positive thoughts. I appreciate everything you've all said to me! I will keep returning! Best wishes to you all!