PDA

View Full Version : I had to leave work early because of panic attacks....

coyotl
06-21-2016, 08:34 AM
For the last 12 hours i've been in non-stop panic mode. It's all over something that I know there is a logical explanation too that is not as catastrophic as my anxiety is telling me it is. My boyfriend hasn't texted me back since he went to work yesterday evening, now its morning and I'm scared. Logically I know he may just be busy and he's not awake yet right now but the panic attacks just keep coming. My relationship causes me extreme anxiety to the point where I make myself sick despite it being a stable one. How do you guys cope with things like this?

This us my first time posting here, I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and I really want to learn to cope with it constructively... I really hope the thing i'm worried about isn't overly petty. I have this problem with all my relationships and i would like to work to overcome it before it destroys me. I already had to clock off from my job early because i worried myself sick.

Mr Hall
06-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Hi coyotl

One way to start combating anxiety would be through deep breathing techniques.

The deep breathing technique:

When you breathe using the chest rather than the diaphragm the breath you take is very shallow. During a panic attack especially breathing using the chest creates some of the symptoms associated with panic attacks and anxiety related problems. When the chest muscles are tightened you feel light headed and dizzy as shallow breathing can produce similar feeling as hyperventilation.
The deep breathing exercise can help make use of the diaphragm when breathing as the diaphragm is the most efficient muscle of breathing.

1. To start off place one hand on your chest and place the other just below the rib cage .Your hands will indicate to you which part of your body and what muscles you are using to breathe. This can be done either lying down or sitting upright.
2. Gently breathe out through the mouth. As you exhale relax the shoulders and muscles of the upper body. The point of this is not to empty the lungs but to relax the muscles of your upper body.
3. Close your mouth and rest for a couple of seconds.
4. With your mouth closed inhale slowly through your nose by pushing your stomach out. The hand on your chest should remain as still as possible.
5. Pause briefly for whatever time you feel comfortable. However, just remember that by breathing this way, you are taking larger breaths than you are used to. For this reason, it's necessary to breathe more slowly than you're used to. 6. Open your mouth. Exhale through your mouth by pulling your belly in.
7. Pause then repeat.

At first, practice doing this exercise for 5-10 minutes about 3-4 times per day. Slowly increase the amount of time you spend doing this exercise.

Another way would be to try regaining control of your imagination

Fear and anxiety grow when we think the worst. Our imaginations allow us to project into the future so that we can plan ahead. However, a side effect of being able to imagine possible positive futures is being able to imagine things going wrong. Uncontrolled imagination is a breeding ground for both anxiety and fear.
Some people misuse their imagination and as a result suffer much more anxiety than those who either imagine positive things about the future or who don't tend to think about the future much at all. Anxious, chronic worriers tend to misuse their imaginations so much so that upcoming events feel like disasters waiting to happen.
Some people don’t even realise they are doing this. So to combat this:

• Relax and do your deep breathing
• Imagine seeing yourself in the situation you were dreading, but at the same time imagine yourself being calm and composed. Doing this starts to reprogram your mind to feel calmer and more upbeat about upcoming events or regular situations which were making you feel anxious.
Using these techniques may improve how you feel in your relationship and also allow you to have more control during a panic attack

I hope this helps.

Kirk
06-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Don't be ashamed or afraid to take medication in the meantime until things get under control.