PDA

View Full Version : New to anxiety.

Cowboy2233
06-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Hi. I am new to anxiety, but it hit me pretty good after a complication after an eye surgery. I have always had your general anxiety about life things, but this intense anxiety is a new feeling. Tight chest, leg tingling, trouble sleeping because my brain is always going, etc...

Here is my question. Could being anxious about my eye never getting better, even though doctor says it will and looks good, cause me to have anxiety related eye issues? I had the surgery on my right eye. It seems dim and It feels like it is constantly trying to focus (kind of like a camera). It can be clear one minute and blurry the next.

Now my left eye has started to see huge halos, double and smeared vision. Never had this problem before I started fighting this anxiety. Both eyes are having issues with back ground and dim lighting and at times feels like I'm looking out of two eyes instead of them working together.

Can this be anxiety driven or am I just in my own head? All the eye doctors have said my eyes look great.

Thanks for the help

Anne1221
06-14-2016, 07:03 PM
I think it is anxiety but to be sure you may want to see a really good opthalamologist to rule it being an eye issue. After that, it is most likely anxiety. When my eye had problems (due to a real eye issue) my anxiety got so bad I had to go to the emergency room.

Nowuccas
06-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Hey Cowboy2233,

Apart from the eye problems, (I used to experience halos, following eye surgery, but they disappeared over the following weeks, as the visual cortex of my brain adjusted to the differences in the eyes; consult an opthalmologist if yours persist for over a month) they seem to be as a result of panic or anxiety attacks:

Anxiety Attacks:
An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:
Discomfort or pain in the chest, Vertigo or
Dizziness, Upset stomach / Nausea, Loss of
Control, Loss of Mental Stability, Stress,
Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
near heart attack, Shallow breathing, Shakes / Trembling
Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Panic Attacks:
On the other hand, a panic attack does not carry with it that "always there" association. In fact, panic episodes generally burst forth, peaking after roughly 10 minutes or so, then ending after about 25 minutes. During a panic attack, 4 of the symptoms listed below (in no particular order) generally make an appearance:
Hyperventilation, Shallow breathing, even to the point of
suffocation sensation...
Increased heart rates Tightness of chest, Chest pain or discomfort
Shakes / Trembling / Sweating Choking
sensation Upset Stomach / Nausea Vertigo
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Surreal feelings Loss of Control, especially
of mental faculties, Death coming on Numbing
Cold or hot flashes

The Difference:
The main difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks is in the duration of the attack and how intense it is for the person with the affliction. While anxiety attacks are less hi-stress, they tend to last longer than the power-packed panic stressors".

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: ( count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown.

----------------------------------------------------

Racing thoughts: coping techniques:

Learn, become proficient in, and employ acupressure tapping / EFT, and progressive muscle relaxation, ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) using whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] or mercola.com has a locator). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

My previous post about Generalised Anxiety Disorder is at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33964-New-to-the-site-and-looking-for-help&p=223989#post223989

INSOMNIA: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34800-Classes-are-approaching&p=227837#post227837

ANXIETY or PANIC ATTACKS: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34755-Panic-attacks-that-last-for-hours

I suggest that you learn the EMDR variant and mindfulness breathing at https://www.verywell.com/mindfulness-meditation-88369 during daylight hours and first employ the EMDR variant, then drift off to sleep while doing the mindfulness breathing, preferably using diaphragmatic breathing, although that could come later, once proficient in the others.

SanFranLarry
06-15-2016, 01:43 PM
I was actually surprised to learn that anxiety can, in fact, affect the eyes and vision. I read this is a couple of studies.

Cowboy2233
06-15-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a feeling I have a bit of anxiety, which is causing halos, light issues and fluctuating vison. All doctors I've been to say that the eye looks good and they don't know why I'm having issues. Maybe I am just so in my head that psychologically I'm making it happen. I have been dealing and stressing over the eye for the last 5 months. Has really taken over my life.

SanFranLarry
06-15-2016, 11:25 PM
I am actually having the same problems right now and also going through some stressful times. I don't know if they're related but it wouldn't surprise me.