PDA

View Full Version : Medication advice for a newbie

SarahBear
06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone. I have never taken anxiety medication before and my doctor seems to think that I need it and it will help. I recently started on Clonzepam (Klonopin) and Esitalopram (Lepraxo). I do not suffer from depression, just anxiety that interferes with my daily life. I was a little worried about starting medication because I don't particularly like prescription drugs and they make me a bit nervous. Anyways, long story short I started taking them yesterday and feel as if I'm experiencing some brain fog and dizziness. My anxiety hasn't decreased much as I think I am also worrying about these medications. If anyone has any experience with these medications or side effects I would love to hear some input. Is this normal when first starting these meds? I don't want to continuously feel this way while taking these.

Thank you for any support or advice!!

Ponder
06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Any form of medication introduced into the body to change whatever process for whatever reason is a form of toxin at one level or another. You have to decide which is the lessor of two, three, four, and so weevils. Reliance, Complacency, Quick Fix, Side Effects and so on.

I can tell you that many of these medications require a "toxification" process where your body becomes sick and needs to build up a resistance to the introduced poison before it takes effect. This is commonly explained with the "You need to give it 6 to 8 weeks for it to work" speech.

Once this initial phase of dealing with unnatural substances is undergone, there is what I would term as "The Honeymoon Period" which for me lasted about 6 to 12 or even 18 months depending on the medication, side effects and willingness to actually help myself Vs the crutches/reliance factor.

NO ONE HERE CAN TELL YOU what your going to go through and or what meds are going to do what for you. It simply does not work like that. They can of course testify to their own experience. Do bare in mind, that everyone's body, gender, age, genetics and about a million other variables make adhering to the stories of others no more than a quest to feed one's own desire none other than wishful thinking. YET - the short comings of taking a quick fix most certainly have more in common than that of most advice you'll find in here. Long story short ... ONLY YOU can answer such questions when it comes to the toxification of dealing with ones woes.

Medication can be a great aid - and in some cases bearable as a means of reliance, but mostly leads people off track from having any form of self control and or living naturally. Such a realization I came to see, through having suffered extreme obesity, metabolic syndrome, breathing problems, reflux and many side effects that far exceeded my original issues that the doctor said would improved.

Don't take my word for it though or anyone elses ... the only way to find out is GO FOR IT ... start taking the pills. ;) Coming off them is a real bitch too!!!

All I do now is EAT REAL FOOD - and keep my body moving likes it's suppose to. Get some outdoor exposure and accepts its OK to suffer occasionally.
(edit - telling myself I am too fat or fucked to move is a cop out and simply BSing myself ... I started with walking in my house, then out my door up the street and little bit by little bit ... you get the picture ... I broke bones and had many stress fractures .. I wanted to get better and I have - such was my resolve to get off the meds that were slowly killing me ... )

Anyways - if your intention is for the easy way, none of my story will mean anything at any rate.

I know some people in here that "seem" to be doing great with their meds. ... but know many more who are not.

All the best with whatever way you go.

Anne1221
06-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Don't worry about every little thing you feel right now. The side effects of the antidepressant will gradually taper down. I don't know much about Klonopin, but I would advise you take that one as needed. The Lexapro you take every day. In six to 8 weeks you'll see the full effects, then you can decide. Don't worry about how you feel right now, but let the Lexapro take the 4 weeks to start to kick in. If the Lexapro helps enough, you may not even need the Klonopin. I feel safer taking an antidepressant than I do a benzodiazepine but that's just me.

Ponder
06-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Bump - "I can tell you that many of these medications require a "toxification" process where your body becomes sick and needs to build up a resistance to the introduced poison before it takes effect. This is commonly explained with the "You need to give it 6 to 8 weeks for it to work" speech."

SarahBear
06-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the advice Ponder and Anne1211. I think taking the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis is a good idea. My doctor currently has me taking that twice daily in addition to the Lexapro, and because I haven't been taking these that long I am assuming the Klonopin is what is causing the side effects. I have only been taking the recommended dosage for a couple of days but it is making me feel extremely tired, forgetful, and all together out of it. I will consider reaching out to my doctor to discuss using Klonopin only as needed. Thanks again!

Ponder
06-12-2016, 04:28 AM
All the best with whatever road you take Sarah. :)

Kirk
06-26-2016, 11:23 AM
According to a client of mine who is a psychologist, some people have a chemical imbalance that can only be corrected by medication. Their is no shame in taking medication if you need it to get your life back
on track. My internal medicine concierge physician who I have been seeing for 13 years has told me that one should do whatever is necessary to get your life back and on track. I hope you feel
better soon.

Vale
06-27-2016, 11:42 PM
I'm about to start citalopram, my first med, tonight. I'm freaking out about what it might do to me. I'm so new to this panic thing, and I'm afraid to even go to sleep because both attacks I've had this week started in my sleep. GAAAAH.

Naor
06-28-2016, 02:16 AM
It's fine and normal , it takes between 2 to 3-4 weeks untill the medication "works" and reduces the worries , eventually you will feel the change gradually .
Just stop being nervous , you can be calm :)

gypsylee
07-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the advice Ponder and Anne1211. I think taking the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis is a good idea. My doctor currently has me taking that twice daily in addition to the Lexapro, and because I haven't been taking these that long I am assuming the Klonopin is what is causing the side effects. I have only been taking the recommended dosage for a couple of days but it is making me feel extremely tired, forgetful, and all together out of it. I will consider reaching out to my doctor to discuss using Klonopin only as needed. Thanks again!

Hi Sarah and welcome :)

I've been on and off psych meds for severe anxiety/depression for 20+ years.. Pretty much everything under the sun. I also do a lot of reading on the meds (and brain chemistry in general).

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine - it works straight away and generally very well on anxiety, but you build a tolerance really quickly. If you can take these "as needed" that's way way better than every day. You don't have to follow your doctor's instructions like the letter of the law :)

Lexapro is an SSRI which works completely differently. These you do need to take every day and they take time to have an effect (and usually make people feel worse for the first couple of weeks). Unlike benzos they are a lot more "hit and miss" though and can really help some people and others not at all.

So my advice is to take the Lexapro regularly and see how you go but hang onto the Klonopin for when you need them. I find having benzos on hand is helpful just psychologically because you know if you have a horrible anxiety attack they will work. My problem is not taking too many.. But that's another story!

Cheers,
Gypsy x