PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum-looking for support

Joe L
05-31-2016, 10:31 AM
Hello all!

I am 39, male and have been dealing with anxiety/panic for most of my life. I have been able to lead a somewhat normal life even with these issues. Marriage/home ownership/family/job are all things that I have been able to achieve despite having such a hard time with mental issues. So why the heck am I here? I am searching for more support/guidance with the debilitating disease.

Here is more about my background:

I come from a strong supportive family. I started having anxiety as a child with the fear of "something happening to me". Driving long distances, traveling, social situations, large crowds ect. Those fears have never ceased. The fear leads to panic and I think everyone knows how the cycle goes from there. I avoid situations that make me anxious. The pure mention of them can cause anxiety. I hate this feeling. I have an amazingly supportive wife of ten years and a 21 month old gorgeous, sweet, smart and well behaved daughter. I love my family! I currently manage a team of 60 people at work and am successful at my job. I like what I do and would have never imagined that I would be in this position.

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for nearly ten years who has me on Cymbalta and Nefazodone (serzone) daily. He also prescribes Ativan as needed but I never take it. I'm not really sure anymore if the meds help or if I really need them. At my last appointment I mentioned to my doc that my anxiety was worse than normal lately and he told me to take magnesium and Omega III fatty acids to see it that might help.

I don't want to feel like this anymore. I don't want to think about the future and have the feeling that I will always be like this. I don't want to get that sunken feeling in my stomach anymore. I just want to lead a "normal" life.

I don't know what to do or where to go from here. That's why I have joined this forum. I'm looking for others that may have or had the same mental health issues and what may have helped them fight it. Self help included. I'm looking for inspiration so hopefully someday I can be someone's inspiration. I appreciate any and all feedback! Thank you all!

KittenTrans
05-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi and welcome, I've been reading stickied threads here and a lot of people report success with Claire Weekes books.

av1988
05-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Welcome.

How often do you exercise? A good long workout is chemically good for your brain. Especially when you're eating right and avoiding alcohol. Hangovers are a huge anxiety inducer. I use tennis as a means for getting rid of anxiety. Over the past year it's helped immensely. I just tucker myself out and I feel so much better. Sometimes my anxiety is so bad that I just throw on running shoes and run as hard and as fast as I can in no particular direction. Then I'll take a cab home after I'm exhausted :-)

Work is a major stress-er too. Always good to put as much distance as possible when you are off work.

-AV, former 11Bravo, US Army

Joe L
05-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Thank you! My exercise is horrid but I do eat good and have been able to lose 13 lbs over the past few months by changing my diet alone. I do know how important exercise is for anxiety. Before I had knee issues I was a frequent runner and felt more mentally "stable" for sure. I will get back to that point. I'm determined. Thank you for the input!

av1988
05-31-2016, 11:06 AM
Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Best of luck. We're here if you need us!

-AV, 11Bravo US Army