PDA

View Full Version : Recovery?

Obelysk
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
OK I was wondering exactly what do people mean by recovery. I hear a lot of people that say that you can recover but I just have to accept it. What exactly do they mean? Its recovery basically me going back to how I was 1 year ago where I was perfectly normal and practically worry free, or does it mean accept it for what it is and move on with my life? Is it even possible to go back to normal after you develop this??? Can I reduce it at least? I am not as scared as I used to be but the bloody symptoms really test my patience sometimes. I am not on medication (my own choice) and I am talking to a counselor. Any information? I would greatly appreciate it. :D

doingmybest
10-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure. I've had anxiety (probably most of my life) but recognizably for about four years. I'll have good periods and bad ones but I can't say that I ever truly feel free of it. But I'm hopeful.

Robbed
10-09-2008, 02:02 AM
OK I was wondering exactly what do people mean by recovery. I hear a lot of people that say that you can recover but I just have to accept it. What exactly do they mean? Its recovery basically me going back to how I was 1 year ago where I was perfectly normal and practically worry free, or does it mean accept it for what it is and move on with my life? Is it even possible to go back to normal after you develop this??? Can I reduce it at least? I am not as scared as I used to be but the bloody symptoms really test my patience sometimes. I am not on medication (my own choice) and I am talking to a counselor. Any information? I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Recovery DOES mean that you will return to an anxiety condition-free state. Remember that PLENTY of people have recovered from anxiety disorder. So it's not like it can't happen, or is even that rare. I would also go on to say that, since you felt perfectly fine a year ago, yor chances are REALLY good. As far as acceptance, this is really more of a way to allow your mind to heal than anything else. It does NOT mean that you have to accept that anxiety is your destiny. Rather, it means that you have to accept the fact that, for the time being, you have anxiety disorder. And that these symptoms are simply anxiety symptoms which will fade over time, and which are not harmful. You see, anxiety disorder is typically caused by stress. Stress both causes it and maintains it. And by learning to accept your anxiety disorder, you will reduce your overall levels of stress, as well as teach your brain to be calm again. So in essence, acceptance allows your mind to heal. Many people will recover with little intervention, but acceptance speeds it. And for others, it is the way to 'tilt the scales' in their favor just enough to get them out of the rut of chronic anxiety. So do the best you can to accept your condition. And be patient. It is all just a matter of time (even if it actually ends up taking a while).

Evilbob333
10-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Just to add to what Robbed wrote, i read a very interesting article on stress a few days ago...i'll try and find the link.
It basically said that stress and anxiety are created in the mind. What happens is that when we're faced with any situation, anything at all, we make a subconcious assesment of what is expected of us. For example we may think 'right i'm gonna be expected to speak to people i know' or speak to a group of people or sit here without leaving or drive down this motorway...whatever the situation. The second thing we do is make a subconcious evaluation of our ability to handle the situation, do we have the neccessary skills, resources, time and confidence to be able to handle what is being asked of us. if we feel that we dont have what is necessary to handle the situation competently this can cause us stress and anxiety. this explains why the more confident you are the less stress you are likely to suffer, because really confident people feel that they always have the neccessary skills, etc to handle ANY situation. This also explains why that which scares one person doesnt scare everyone.
In summary it appears that the more confident you are of handling a situation the less stress that situation can cause. In terms of anxiety I have found that a combination of acceptance that my symptoms are anxiety symptoms and telling myself that i can handle any symptoms thrown at me (I've done it hundreds of times before) greatly relaxes me.
Furthermore this explanation of stress is great because basically it says that confidence is the only thing stopping you doing anything...belief in yourself and your abilities, belief that anxiety can't hurt you or kill you or make you go mad (which it absolutely cannot) is all you meed to start living any life you choose and experience anything you choose.
Now i realise that this seems like an overly simple method to deal with anxiety and believe me, i am fully aware that when you're in the depth of your anxiety it is so overwhelming that you dont feel like you have the confidence to do anything so i apologise if this message has come over as being a bit 'oh its easy' because i know its anything but easy. But this is a skill and like an skill will require practice and patience before it begins to pay dividends.

I found the link

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc. ... 229&cn=117 (http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=1229&cn=117)

I hope this was something of a help for someone

Jay12345
10-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey there.. it's good to hear your not on medication, and out to seek help... What you must do is simply ACCEPT how you feel, don't make any alterations to your lifestyle, dont change anything, just live!...... like normal, and accept the feelings... and i promise you, the symptons will naturally decrease in time, but don't expect anything to happen quicky, try not to monitor yourself.....just stay focused on your work and social life, and you'll soon be absolutely fine.. :) all the best..

Obelysk
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats my big issue I tend to focus too much on how I feel. :( Today I felt like shit to say the least and I was feeling so happy and optimistic this morning now I feel so depressed. :( The symptoms don't leave me alone, every day is something new, for the most part my head feels like its being compressed and I feel anxious. When I talked to my counselor the other day I tried ask her if recovery was possible and she sort of insinuated that I will have this for the rest of my life. :x Sometimes I just can't bare the symptoms and really they annoy me, once a week I will go an entire day and feel normal I am so happy when that happens but most of the time I have those feelings and symptoms. How do you guys cope with this stuff? I developed this disorder over the last 4 months and I really can't stand it, my counselor says I have GAD with some panic attacks. I understand that recovery can take time (years if anything) but sometimes I find this so hard to handle. I don't want to take drugs but I sometimes I need something to relieve me but I have nothing. :( My neck hurts right now (as if I had a knot in it) and I get so many physical symptoms that prevent me from not focusing on it. I really don't know what to do.....

Robbed
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Thats my big issue I tend to focus too much on how I feel. :( Today I felt like shit to say the least and I was feeling so happy and optimistic this morning now I feel so depressed. :( The symptoms don't leave me alone, every day is something new, for the most part my head feels like its being compressed and I feel anxious. When I talked to my counselor the other day I tried ask her if recovery was possible and she sort of insinuated that I will have this for the rest of my life. :x Sometimes I just can't bare the symptoms and really they annoy me, once a week I will go an entire day and feel normal I am so happy when that happens but most of the time I have those feelings and symptoms. How do you guys cope with this stuff? I developed this disorder over the last 4 months and I really can't stand it, my counselor says I have GAD with some panic attacks. I understand that recovery can take time (years if anything) but sometimes I find this so hard to handle. I don't want to take drugs but I sometimes I need something to relieve me but I have nothing. :( My neck hurts right now (as if I had a knot in it) and I get so many physical symptoms that prevent me from not focusing on it. I really don't know what to do.....

You can't just turn off your monitoring of symptoms like a light switch. This isn't the way it works. What you have to do is just try to do it less. And, at least at first, you will probably only be able to do so a little. But every little bit counts in the end. Also, if there are any things that you can do that might help reduce your anxiety and/or take your mind off it (ie going for a walk, hanging out with a friend, etc), try to do them as much as you can. If you keep your mind occupied, then you are less likely to think about anxiety.

Obelysk
10-10-2008, 08:33 PM

You can't just turn off your monitoring of symptoms like a light switch. This isn't the way it works. What you have to do is just try to do it less. And, at least at first, you will probably only be able to do so a little. But every little bit counts in the end. Also, if there are any things that you can do that might help reduce your anxiety and/or take your mind off it (ie going for a walk, hanging out with a friend, etc), try to do them as much as you can. If you keep your mind occupied, then you are less likely to think about anxiety.

Yeah, I have been trying to put less focus on it and I feel a little better. What are the odds of one recovering from GAD anyways? I assume not much. I am 23 at the moment and have had it for a few months, but I am not exactly too sure why it developed. :?

motif
10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I recovered.