PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thoughts are Scaring Me

Joy of Smiles
05-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I have been living the past few weeks and days through unproductive anxiety. It started off when my big brother, about 4 years older than me, invited his friends over for a hangout. I was part of it as well, and he didn't seem to mind. I had a great time, but when everyone left, and I was exhausted, suddenly I thought about death, the future, when everyone dies, and the thought was extremely deep, taken from the depths of the mind. I couldn't sleep for an hour, but soon I fell asleep. However, the next few days I was feeling anxious (and the death of my dog that's been with me since birth did not help at all). I had that terrifying feeling everyone gets; a cold chilling feeling from the upper neck down to the lower back, fast heartbeat, dread, weak legs, and stress. I just can't seem to be entertained or smile the way my old happy cheerful ADHD self did back then. I soon kept getting more deep thoughts, now about reality and the afterlife. This has went so far that now I'm stressing over about the end of time and existence. This happens when I'm indoors and bored out of my mind. However whenever I'm outside in other places, I seem to temporarily forget.
The next day I end up becoming anxious over everything again, but worse. I tried meditating, but that only worked for 2 hours until things got worse. I tried to distract myself but the thoughts seem to overlap the distractions I'm focusing on. I try to forget about it, but it just gets worse (most likely it's the White Bear Syndrome). I try everything and the only cure is either meditating or going outside, but these work temporarily. I need some way that can remove these thoughts or just make me feel comfortable with them. I got over death, because I assured myself that everyone goes to Heaven, since I heard that people say we just "stop existing," but I haven't got over the fear of being alone in one point of existence, no longer existing, or even about what I was before existing.

So if anyone can help me, then please reply as soon as possible. I don't want to spend years over this fear.

Joy of Smiles
05-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Here's a bump.

Anne1221
05-23-2016, 09:10 PM
You are carrying with you some deep thoughts. There's always medication to help but you sound young so maybe you don't want to try antidepressants to help. Maybe you could see a psychologist. I personally believe I will live on after I die but I think your problem is not these particular issues but the underlying anxiety you have. Some professional help would be good. I don't think you need to spend one second worrying about any of your current fears, that at some point you might not exist or being alone in all of existence. These are irrational fears. How old are you?

Joy of Smiles
05-23-2016, 09:16 PM
You are carrying with you some deep thoughts. There's always medication to help but you sound young so maybe you don't want to try antidepressants to help. Maybe you could see a psychologist. I personally believe I will live on after I die but I think your problem is not these particular issues but the underlying anxiety you have. Some professional help would be good. I don't think you need to spend one second worrying about any of your current fears, that at some point you might not exist or being alone in all of existence. These are irrational fears. How old are you?

I'm in my teen years, 16. I suffer from ADHD, that may explain the reason why I sound young.

Nowuccas
05-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Hey Joy of Smiles,

You could try regarding them as negative thoughts. Previous post follows:

NEGATIVE THOUGHTS:

Nearly everyone has negative thoughts sometimes. Negative thoughts often occur before negative emotions*. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, etc., by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Use the "Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts" - When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.
Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary.

Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now", or "I choose to be more positive". I prefer: "Focus only on what to do now/next". Recommended reading: Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive by Barbara Fredrickson, & Negaholics: How to Overcome Negativity and Turn Your Life Around by Chérie Carter-Scott, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?"

Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D. Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.
Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogS...ative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.
The key is persistence; over time the frequency and power of the negative thoughts will lessen, but will always recur occasionally, which is normal, and healthy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ADD/ADHD: I don't recommend any of the powerful, and addictive central nervous system stimulants. An increased incidence of abuse of cocaine, crack cocaine, crystal meth, and other amphetamines has been reported among users of Ritalin, and other amphetamine related medications, which may well predispose them to later abuse street drugs, with all the undesirable consequences involved. The only medications for it not in the stimulant family that I know of are Intuniv, Kapvay, and Strattera, which is structurally related to the antidepressants, and carries risks, and side effects of its own; see www.drugs.com. People in most Western countries often get several times more Omega 6, than Omega 3, when a far healthier ratio is closer to 1:1.5 and that deficiency is thought to be a major factor in ADD/ADHD.

Take at least 4 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, or the recommended dose of a high quality fish oil daily, like Carlsons or Melrose (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! Females may benefit by balancing the DHA, & EPA versions of Omega 3 in fish, or krill oil with ALA flaxseed oil Omega 3, or at least one heaped tablespoonful of ground flaxseed, daily. Dr. Mercola rates "krill oil" much higher than fish oil, because it is far less easily oxidised, so you may want to check this out for yourself through the searchbar at mercola.com Vegetarians & vegans: Google: "Omega 3; algae; supplies" and use it with flaxseed. Eat more in accordance with your "nutritional type":- (free 20 question quiz http://www.naturalhealthcoach.com/tools ) or sign up free at www.mercola.com where a more comprehensive one is, free; do both. Also enter "ADHD" in their searchbar, and check out the articles.

Eliminate, or minimise sugar use, replacing with xylitol, or stevia (health food stores). Avoid artificial colours, flavours, sweeteners, preservatives, & MSG. Minimise highly processed grains, & alcohol use. BOOKS: "The A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. Diet! A Comprehensive Look at Contributing Factors and Natural Treatments for Symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder and Hyperactivity" by Rachel Bell, and "Ritalin Is Not The Answer: A Drug-Free, Practical Program for Children Diagnosed with ADD or ADHD" by David B. Stein, & ADHD: A Path to Success: A Revolutionary Theory and New Innovation in Drug-Free Therapy by Lawrence Weathers, & ADD/ADHD Drug Free: Natural Alternatives and Practical Exercises to Help Your Child Focus by Frank Jacobelli and Lynn A. Watson, & Dr. Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days by Robert DeMaria, & The ADD and ADHD Cure: The Natural Way to Treat Hyperactivity and Refocus Your Child by Jay Gordon and Jennifer Chang. Also: "HOW TO BEAT HYPERACTIVITY WITHOUT DRUGS Reversing ADD and ADHD in 20 days" Michael Sichel & Greta Sichel. 2001. Bookbound Publishing, from your bookstore, or amazon.com (also enter in their searchbar: "ADD + ADHD; natural treatments"). If you can't get it those ways, you can also try Bookbound.com.au

Check out: http://ezinearticles.com/?Alternative-Medicine-For-ADHD---A-Way-Through-the-Jungle&id=2222056 &
http://www.add-treatment.com/natural-remedies-for-adhd.html Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com has: Manage ADHD, or: Perfect Partners: Manage ADHD + Improve Impulse Control, and/or: Perfect Partners: Improving Concentration and Focus + Don't Get Distracted, & Classroom Fascination, & http://www.instant-hypnosis.com/ Attention Deficit Disorder. NATURALLY DERIVED ADD/ADHD PRODUCTS: View:
http://www.asktheinternettherapist.com/shop3/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=31 & http://www.add-care.com./

Nowuccas
05-24-2016, 08:03 AM
FEAR OF DEATH:

Realise that although your conscious mind knows that death lies in the far distant future, the part of your brain which is conscious is like an iceberg, with the vast bulk of the subconscious mind supporting it. Unfortunately, to the subconscious mind, everything is in the present tense - "NOW", so whenever you think about your ultimate demise, it considers it as an immediate threat to your continued existence, and may well deal with it in its usual manner, by activating the very ancient "fight or flight" response. It also is unable to deal with negatives well, if at all, so it's far better to learn to use positives when dealing with it. There are basically 2 approaches. One is to not think about death. But it's unhelpful to say to yourself: "don't think about death", because it doesn't understand the "don't" concept, so say: "let's think about something else, like what to do next", etc. You can employ the following: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: or: "What's going to become of me?" or: "When will it all end?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind. After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick".

In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version. Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I'm here now, so I may as well enjoy myself or do something interesting, enjoyable, or exciting when not making a contribution to the society which supports me". Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind. 85% of people are suggestible, to some degree, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy. If it is not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has ones about stopping negative thoughts, and fear of death. Another way is to focus on death so long and often that your subconscious mind becomes desensitised to the subject, and no longer activates the fear response. There was a time, billions of years ago when there was no death, just (imperfectly; thereby enabling selection of superior mutations) self replicating molecules, all derived from a common ancestor, according to the genetic evidence. It was more than 2 billion years later that sex, and death began. Then primitive nervous systems, later evolving into simple brains, with a sensorium, to detect dangers, and fear came into being. Overlaid on that basic fish brain is the amphibian brain, then the reptilian brain, then the mammal brain, then the primate brain, and finally the massive cortex which enables full self consciousness in the human brain.

Then consider that the very molecules which make up your body, even the bones, are being replaced every several years, so extremely little of what was originally "you" remains. And the fact that all atoms of an element (which aren't isotopes) are identical, so it didn't matter which atoms were originally combined to form those first self replicating molecules, which all forms of life are descended from. Ultimately, there is no real death, as long as life continues on this planet, which it is likely to for at least 500,000,000 years, when the sun starts to become a red giant. We are all but different forms of the one basic creature; death is illusory, at least to some extent; that of the end of this vehicle for transmitting DNA. View: http://a-dogs-breakfast.8m.com/blank_5.html for a totally different scientific point of view you may find helpful.

Hoping something in the above posts helps.

deadbolt
05-25-2016, 05:41 AM
I've been dealing with a lot of the same thoughts, lately and I'm 28. I have/or had ADHD when I was a kid but in my later years it's turned to severe anxiety and depression. Lately I can't stop thinking about the future and it's driving me up a wall. I went to a job interview and they asked me where I saw myself in five years and I just started stammering and I got up and let myself out without saying another word. It's like this lurking fear waiting for me around every corner and there's almost nothing I can do to take my mind off of any of it-- the only escapism I have is sleep. I wake up anxious, I go to bed anxious, I'm anxious all day and it feels like I'm crawling out of my skin. I'm at a point though where I actually welcome the prospect of death, not that I'm suicidal, but I'm so afraid of the future that all I want is to die peacefully. It's really painful. Then I have depression on top of it making it difficult to enjoy the things I enjoyed before this explosion of bad emotions hit me. I'm in therapy but it's not really doing anything for me. My therapist just nods and asks me how it feels to feel the way I'm feeling. I've never trusted therapists, maybe I don't believe in their magic enough for it to work on me, I don't know. All I can say is hang in there, and that I'm sorry it's happening to you, too and at such a young age.

Anne1221
05-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Deadbolt, I am the exact same way. I am always worried about the future. That's why I have to take medication. I've tried four times to get off the antidepressant but each time I go to such an awful and dark place that I get back on it.

Kirk
05-25-2016, 10:23 AM
My internal medicine and GI physicians told me not to look past today. I try my best to adhere to their advice, although I will
admit it is sometimes difficult. I personally feel better if I talk things over with my wife or a close friend if things get difficult
for me.