PDA

View Full Version : Had my first attack 3 months ago. Still haven't recovered. Paranoid about BP

Fenderbass2322
05-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone. I was so certain I would have conquered this by now, but I have not. Let me give you a short rundown of my story.

3 months ago, I was working from home. I had a ton to do this day, and had quite a bit of caffeine. I had a migraine as well, so I took some excedrin. The bottle said take 1, but I took 2. I decided to take a shower and let the hot water run over my neck. I started feeling weird, so I shut the shower off. As I was stepping out, I felt like I was going to pass out. This normal day took a turn really quickly. I think what really happened, was my bp dropped from the heat and I nearly passed out, but I induced panic from nearly passing out. I was confused why this was happening to me. I eat healthy, and I'm very fit. 25 years old and taking great care of myself.

I went to a 24 hour clinic in a panicked state. They took me back quickly and took my BP. It was very high. 180/110. This was my first attack, so I thought I was dying. The nurses looked at me in shock, which only made things worse. What really made it worse was the doctor. She couldn't tell me anything and just said I needed to go to the hospital because I could be dying. Great advice doc, I'm panicking more now.

I get to the ER, and things slowed down. I felt safer. They did blood work and an EKG on me. BP went back down towards normal levels fairly quickly. I was in and out within 2 hours.

Things seemed ok after this, but I was a little paranoid over my BP. I kept checking it a lot, but I told myself that this was only hurting me so I stopped. I went to go see a GP, and he thought it was just anxiety as well and wasn't worried. My bp was higher in the office again, but I wasn't in a full panic so it was 150/90. Still high, but I knew what was happening this time. He tried to give me an SNRI, but I refused.

I went to see a cardiologist not long after. The nurse took my bp and again, 150/90. I was shaking when I went in from fear, but again, not as high as it has been because I knew what was happening to me. After talking with the doctor for maybe 3-5 minutes, he took my bp and it was 120/80. I felt so relieved. A reputable cardiologist told me everything was fine. I should be good right? Nope.

The happiness after that visit last for about 2 weeks. I suddenly became obsessed over my bp again. I started seeing a psychologist who has told me I have panic disorder as well as possible PTSD from my doctors experience. Apparently 1 in 5 patients that go in for possible heart related issues will develop PTSD, and I feel like I'm there. I have nightmares and wake up screaming multiple times a week. This happened before all of this, but not as frequently. The psychologist is helping, but not as much as I had hoped.

My biggest worry now is that my diastolic BP is too high. Of course it will be higher when I'm under extreme stress because I'm very tense. I check it every morning and the first is usually higher than I'd like, but the second and on are always 115-120 over 75-80. Ideal right?

My biggest worry now is when I'm not checking it away from home. I've checked it after working out before and it can be 150/95-100 which is what makes me nervous. I know the systolic increases, but my diastolic is increasing too much. Even right now, I felt uneasy and checked it and it went up to 140/100. Within 5 minutes, I relaxed and it was back to 130/80 area. I don't know what to do and I keep telling myself it's just anxiety, but I can't convince myself. Help.

annemieke87
05-22-2016, 03:32 AM
I am so sorry to read your story, it must be terrifying feeling like this all the time. What is the worst thing that could happen when you don't check your bp?

Fenderbass2322
05-22-2016, 01:58 PM
I think my biggest fear is that it's extremely high when I don't check it. Although, I think it's the site of the machine that terrifies me. Just minutes ago, I checked it and my first one was super high. It wasn't until it was done that I realized that my heart was beating out of my chest. 3 minutes later I check, and it's high normal, but not bad. I just don't realize how much the machine freaks me out.

My dad is the same way. He panics when he sees one. My stepdad had a stroke a few years back and ever sense, he is terrified of them too. His scared me because he's so fit and was a marathoner, but apparently marathoners are known to have a-fib because of the stress they put on their heart which led to his high blood pressure.

I know I just have some extreme fear associated with the machine.