PDA

View Full Version : What should I do

ozm8ey
05-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Hello well a while back the department of human services (Australian government service) made me do a course because I ran out of medical exemptions so I had to catch a train for 1 hour to the city every day for 5 days a week and for around 7 hours a day. So i went from getting panic attacks to just anxiety which i guess the course really helped. The course went for 8 weeks and was Certificate III in Civil Construction. When i had finished the course I became isolated and the anxiety got bad again so a few months has passed and now I feel like I need a job and I cannot get the confidence to do so because I fear I might get a panic attack while inside a excavation, inside an excavator, meeting new people, directing the excavator driver oh and the job interview itself. civil construction is a very high risk of a job, so its important that Im always alert and ready for anything and not having panic attacks.

My psychologist is a complete piece of crap, and doesn't understand anxiety. She ran and abused me because I didn't answer the phone when i had an appointment with her that i missed and charged me a fee for not turning up on several occasions. So what should I do?

annemieke87
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Hi Ozm8ey,

I am sorry you can not reach your psychologist when you need her. She clearly does not understand what anxiety does to a person. You really should know that a panic attack is no more then a misinterpreted response on danger from your mind. People without panic attacks also experience these feelings when they, for example, almost got hit by a car. After a while they calm down. In your case, these responses show up without danger. Because it feels you can not trust your body anymore you get scared, you are sort of trapped in a visious circle.

I am not sure if your psychologist is using CBT for anxiety, of not; ask her! Otherwise, try to find another psychologist nearby or online. Good luck!

For now; go for the job! Ask yourself the question: what is the worst thing that could happen to me. Calm yourself down with the fact; that an average panic attack lasts for about 10 minutes -> say to yourself: It will pass.

Kirk
05-17-2016, 07:43 PM
I agree with annemieke87 completely.