PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Boss

Lyra
04-30-2016, 03:36 PM
Hello. I want to share something that happened with me and my boss. My main job doesn't pay very well. So about a year ago I got into the business of promoting insurance as a means to supplement my income. One of the necessities of this job was to network with people. So last year I thought it'd be a great idea to invite a guest speaker from the insurance company to come give a lecture at my main place of employment. It was also Insurance Awareness Month so I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to put two-and-two together. I sent out an email inquiring about the right person to get in touch with in order to facilitate the lecture. I was polite and courteous in my message. The email included an attachment of the insurance company's flyer for Insurance Awareness Month. My boss saw my email and gave me a scolding, saying that the insurance company was a scam, said something about liability, and that the higher-ups wouldn't want insurance representatives coming to promote insurance.

After that incident last year I kept my head down and never brought up the topic of insurance again at my workplace. However, a couple of days ago I overheard an employee talking to my boss in his office about some vacation packages she was trying to promote. My boss's door was open so it was hard for me not to overhear them. This made me recall my incident from last year. I assumed my boss would turn her down but, much to my shock, he was delighted to help her out by getting her in contact with people he knew and allowing her to leave brochures around the company. To make matters worse he told me to make scans and copies of her brochures and business card for her to promote her vacation packages. I was internally devastated. I was saying in my mind, "You wouldn't let me invite a guest speaker and I had to tell the person he was denied from coming. You didn't help me expand my network. You didn't allow me to leave marketing material around. You didn't allow me to promote my business but you're helping someone else promote hers? Why are you trying to help her get ahead but holding me back?" Luckily I was able to keep my emotions in check to prevent from exploding in rage.

I have no grudges against the other employee. I understand her need to have supplementary income as well. The person I'm disappointed with is my boss. The way he plays 'favorites' is unfair and I'm not sure if it's unethical. I've always known this wouldn't be a life-long job for me, but this incident adds to my urgency of needing to find a greener pasture.

Thanks for hearing me out. :)

SanFranLarry
04-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Albeit I don't know the workings of your situation, I can tell you how some companies work when it comes to insurance. Many companies have contracts with insurance companies and if a company, such as AFLAC, comes into the workplace to sell supplementary insurance, it can interfere and sometimes nullify the companies contract the with insurance company they have signed with. The other employee who was selling (or whatever) vacations stuff, doesn't go against any contracts the company may have. Mind you, your boss could have been more professional in handling the situation.

The Intolerable Kid
05-11-2016, 06:30 AM
I agree with SanFranLarry. Insurance can be a touchy subject, but there was no need for your boss to be a dick about it. A simple, short explanation could've been more than adequate.

Kirk
05-13-2016, 08:01 PM
I agree with the 2 previous posts.