PDA

View Full Version : my advice on some things that work for me on getting over panic attacks

mr.navarro1
04-08-2016, 07:50 AM
I've been suffering from anxiety for two years but I've been a severe hypochondriac most of my life. And I have found some useful practices that have helped me feel better. Most of these are rational things you probably have tried or ever heard before butt there's still good to hear again.

- separate your irrational thoughts / paranoia from your actual health.
- remind yourself the panic is a temporary feeling. You may always be thinking about your next anxious attack but this current episode will end.
- be patient. your anxiousness isn't going to leave as easy as it came on.
- use a distraction. Try talking to someone, even sending a message to an old friend on a social site can be good enough
- more distraction ideas: watch your favorite shows, put on some mellow music that you enjoy, play a game on your phone, computer or gaming system if you have one.

These distractions work great for cutting off the fight or flight signals being released that are fueling your anxiety.

One more thing that I'm working on right now is using disassociation. that's when you are replacing how you feel about certain situations, how you visualize them and how you associate them with anxious feelings. And replacing those associations with something else that you are comfortable with and even want to do. For me it's been going to the store and feeling that I might have an anxiety attack. Now I'm practicing associating the store with picking up the food that I like and buying beer that I will enjoy drinking on my couch watching tv. This was helpful advice given to me by my therapist.