PDA

View Full Version : Suggested reading for depression

Rob625
03-24-2016, 07:20 AM
Hey everyone, I've always had anxiety and panic attacks. But lately the depression is getting worse. Can anyone recommend books that are helpful for depression. Thanks

Srdjan Vujicic
03-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Any comedy book, for example Wake Up, Sir, by Jonathan Ames.

Nowuccas
03-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Hey Rob625,

Some are:

"Lift your mood now." by John D Preston, Psy.D. 2001, New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 5674 Shattuck Avenue, Oakland. CA (for depression; short 5 - 10 mn chapters, easily employed immediately), & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. (updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive; highly recommended), by David D. Burns, M.D., from your bookstore, Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com.

Others recommend: Healing Depression & Bipolar Disorder Without Drugs, by Gracelyn Guyols, & "Depression Cure", by Steve Ilardi. (there is no guaranteed cure for depression).

View my post about depression at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?32707-has-this-happend-to-you&p=216510#post216510

Rob625
03-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Hey Rob625,

Some are:

"Lift your mood now." by John D Preston, Psy.D. 2001, New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 5674 Shattuck Avenue, Oakland. CA (for depression; short 5 - 10 mn chapters, easily employed immediately), & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. (updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive; highly recommended), by David D. Burns, M.D., from your bookstore, Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com.

Others recommend: Healing Depression & Bipolar Disorder Without Drugs, by Gracelyn Guyols, & "Depression Cure", by Steve Ilardi. (there is no guaranteed cure for depression).

View my post about depression at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?32707-has-this-happend-to-you&p=216510#post216510

Thank you, I think I'm ordering the Feeling Good book tomorrow

Srdjan Vujicic
03-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Hey Rob, you can try The other side of silence, very good book about depression. Cheer

The Intolerable Kid
04-11-2016, 06:41 AM
For the approach of a comedic read, try one of Stephen Colbert's books.

My personal preference is to read a book that will make me appreciate the life I'm living more. I will read Mark Baker's Nam to help give me perspective. Going to work in the morning is nothing compared to what those people went through.

MainerMikeBrown
04-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Many stories from those Chicken Soup For The Soul books can really lift your spirits if you're feeling depressed.