PDA

View Full Version : Heart Anxiety

thatdrummerdude
03-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Hi guys,

So I'm 14 and a few months ago I saw my dad experience a sudden cardiac arrest at the gym. He dropped on the floor and his heart stopped. So very thankfully, by CPR and an AED device the gym had, he is alive and well. It turned out he had some blockages and needed open heart surgery (which he had done). I'm so glad he's ok, but recently I've been struggling with absolute paranoia about my heart. My dad is very healthy (regularly exercises, has a healthy, well balanced diet, not a smoker), and I'm his son - so I guess I'm paranoid about genetics since it runs in the family. I've experienced all of the following symptoms:

- Increased heart rate
- Heart flutters (some are legitimate, some are muscle spasams that mimic it)
- Chest pain and tightness
- Tingling in hands, feet, and around mouth
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling like I'm going to suffocate
- Feeling like I'm going to pass out
- Dizzy and lightheaded

I've seen 2 doctors about my heart, and had an EKG done - they said I'm perfectly healthy and there is nothing to worry about - but I just can't not worry! The image of what happened to my dad is stuck in my head. I go to the gym regularly as well and have a healthy diet. I am also seeing a psychologist (and they are helping, I was just seeing if you guys had any additional advice). Every little thing I feel around my chest area I get paranoid and am immediately convinced I'll drop dead due to a heart problem - some days I'm convinced I won't live to see the next day. I just wanted to reach out to this community and see if anyone has dealt with this and has any tips that have helped them..

Thanks,
thatdrummerdude

Dahila
03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Hi young man. Welcome to the forum. I witnessed someone die in hospital, someone I liked very much. I was ten at this time. I do understand what you are going through,,,,,,,,,,,,but I am very old woman now, and please do not waste your life being anxious and trying to control life and death. You are not magician. You dad is alive and well and please, be happy. Prolong anxiety can actually cause some diseases. I think you should seek help, hopefully therapy will help. Maybe you could meditate, is never to early or to late to start it. Everyone of us here, have a health anxiety. We seek help, we try to overcome it. It tough but it can be done.

thatdrummerdude
03-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Hi young man. Welcome to the forum. I witnessed someone die in hospital, someone I liked very much. I was ten at this time. I do understand what you are going through,,,,,,,,,,,,but I am very old woman now, and please do not waste your life being anxious and trying to control life and death. You are not magician. You dad is alive and well and please, be happy. Prolong anxiety can actually cause some diseases. I think you should seek help, hopefully therapy will help. Maybe you could meditate, is never to early or to late to start it. Everyone of us here, have a health anxiety. We seek help, we try to overcome it. It tough but it can be done.

Thanks for your words!

Spartacus1983
03-17-2016, 11:32 PM
I have been having the same exact symptoms as you and the doctors keep telling me I'm fine. However I am 32 so I have a lot of stress that has accumulated over the years and now it is exploding out. You are so young so make sure you keep on the path to control your anxiety with therapy. You are only 14, you're invincible!!! At least for another 15 years or so :p I understand your dilemma though, my grandfather died of a heart attack at 59 and I was very close with him. It still affects me 20 + years later.

Ponder
03-17-2016, 11:39 PM
It's not uncommon for such to happen. A close friend of mine died whilst running. It can happen to any us at any time. Dahila hits the nail on the head with respect to your dad having survived. I would say, had he not been as fit as he is, that he might not of pulled through with a sedentary heart attack. They are also bound to happen, more than not.

I've been eyeing the heart starters at our gym and take solace in that. hehe.

Glad you had a happy ending to that story.

Welcome to the forum.

thatdrummerdude
03-18-2016, 05:45 AM
Thanks everyone!

Nowuccas
03-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Hey thatdrummerdude,

"There are some differences between anxiety and panic attacks. While books are written on this topic, the following will attempt to summarize some basics here for a brief overview.

Anxiety Attacks:
An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:
Discomfort or pain in the chest Vertigo or
Dizziness Upset stomach / Nausea Loss of
Control, Loss of Mental Stability Stress
Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
near heart attack Shallow breathing Shakes / Trembling
Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Panic Attacks:
On the other hand, a panic attack does not carry with it that "always there" association. In fact, panic episodes generally burst forth, peaking after roughly 10 minutes or so, then ending after about 25 minutes. During a panic attack, 4 of the symptoms listed below (in no particular order) generally make an appearance:
Hyperventilation, Shallow breathing, even to the point of
suffocation sensation...
Increased heart rates Tightness of chest, Chest pain or discomfort
Shakes / Trembling / Sweating Choking
sensation Upset Stomach / Nausea Vertigo
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Surreal feelings Loss of Control, especially
of mental faculties Death coming on Numbing
Cold or hot flashes

The Difference:
The main difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks is in the duration of the attack and how intense it is for the person with the affliction. While anxiety attacks are less hi-stress, they tend to last longer than the power-packed panic stressors".

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: ( count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown in the post below*.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* REPROGRAMMING:
Use the Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learn and employ the relaxation techniques (begin with Progressive Muscle Relaxation) and the EFT variant for use in public places, in case it is needed there. Use whichever works best for you. By addressing your anxieties, you may prevent panic attacks, but also become proficient in an anti-panic attack breathing technique, for use when necessary. Learn to recognise the thought patterns which trigger panic attacks, and immediately challenge and reprogram as shown.

Learn and develop proficiency in an anti-panic attack breathing method to use in the event of one occurring. Also learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have anxiety / panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest that you check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=mercola%3B+heart+health&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 such as:

5 Lifestyle Changes Can Help Prevent 80 Percent of Heart Attacks ...
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../5-healthy-lifestyle-changes.aspx
Oct 6, 2014 - Having a healthy diet, and being physically active are some lifestyle changes that can help prevent your risk of getting heart attacks, &

7 Simple Steps for a Healthy Heart - Health Articles
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../02/.../7-steps-for-a-healthy-heart.asp...
Feb 9, 2010 - The American Heart Association has, for the first time, identified seven health factors and lifestyle behaviors its research indicates are ...

Also check out http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Cardiovascular such as:

Major Heart attacks occur 40 percent more often if vitamin D lower than 7 ng – Feb 2013, &

Magnesium prevents cardiovascular events – Meta-analysis March 2013, &

Cardiovascular system benefits from both Omega-3 and vitamin D – Dec 2012, &

Best heart geometry associated with vitamin D of 30-37 ng/ml – Oct 2012.

Nowuccas
03-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Take at least 4, and up to 9 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, (high in E.P.A.) or the recommended dose of a high quality of fish, or krill oil* daily, like Carlsons, or Melrose: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! Basically, if a vitamin supplement shows dl, which is the acronym for dextro-levo, it contains both isomers, and is therefore synthetic in origin. View: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=dextro-levo%3B+vitamins&btnG=Google+Search

Females may benefit by balancing the DHA, & EPA versions of Omega 3 in fish, or krill* oil with ALA flaxseed oil Omega 3, or at least one heaped tablespoonful of ground flaxseed, daily. Vegetarians: Google: "Omega 3; algae; supplies" and use with flaxseed. *Use the www.mercola.com SEARCHBAR.
Most people are consuming far too many omega-6 fats compared to omega-3 fats. The ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats is 1:1.5 to as high as 1:5, , but the typical Western diet may be between 1:20 and 1:50. Even the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Dietary Supplements states:3
"Most American diets provide more than 10 times as much omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids. There is general agreement that individuals should consume more omega-3 and less omega-6 fatty acids to promote good health."
To add insult to injury these additional omega-6 are nearly all industrially processed oils and many of them are heated converted a significant percentage of these fats into trans fats, or even worse cyclic aldehydes. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/01/04/how-much-omega-3.aspx?e_cid=20160104Z3_DNL_art_2&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign=20160104Z3&et_cid=DM94316&et_rid=1295654781

Note that most doctors would regard lower levels of vitamin D as being acceptable than those recommended by Dr. John Cannell of the vitamin D council, or Professor Michael Holick, a former member, and an expert in vitamin D.

Read: "Why are doctors reluctant to accept vitamin D", at:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Why+are+doctors+reluctant+to+accept+vitamin+D and in particular:
"Would you be opposed to my getting more vitamin D", at:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=3162

View my previous answer about vitamin D and natural health at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33197-Do-I-have-anxiety-disorder-or-something-worse&p=220006#post220006 An excellent one page summary about vitamin D may be found at http://www.drfranklipman.com/vitamin-d-faq/ but it lacks info on its cofactors, zinc, boron, vitamin K2, and magnesium. If supplementing, (the non preferred method, according to www.vitaminDcouncil.org ) use only vitamin D3.

To ensure sufficient cofactors (magnesium, boron, vitamin K2, and zinc; most people get enough calcium) I also take a multivitamin, mineral, amino acids, ubiquinol, etc. supplement called Total Balance, Men's version, from xtend-life.com, although a high quality one like Suisse, would suffice, from pharmacies, or supermarkets.

Magnesium; see http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_abso rption.html

Print, show, or refer your father to the above.

mr.navarro1
03-20-2016, 09:47 AM
I hope you ate doing better. I just wanted to say I am am also experiencing the same problems. After doing my jujitsu practice I was sure I was having a heart attack. I couldn't catch my breathe . I was sure I would die on the training mats. Eventually I was able to calm down and end my panic attack. My advice is face your fears to get your confidence back. There are many things you can do to have a healthy heart, but constantly worrying and being stressed is not one of them.

thatdrummerdude
03-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Take at least 4, and up to 9 Omega 3 fish oil supplements,...

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.