PDA

View Full Version : Public Speaking

Lyra
03-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a personal experience I had with my public speaking class. I'm mostly a quiet type who doesn't speak unless I feel the urge to. I took a public speaking class one time and I think it did more harm than good. First, I was worried about my grade due to the fact that my teacher had very strict rules about how the presentations were going to be graded. During the presentations, no one was allowed to use flashcards. We couldn't stand behind a desk, podium, or a computer. Our visual slides were displayed on an overhead projector, and we could only change slides with a remote control while standing in front of the podium with the audience directly in front. It took me a great deal of practice to remember what to say, since flashcards weren't allowed. The presentations were also timed. My teacher didn't like them to be under the limit and we couldn't go overtime by too much. On top of that, we can to keep some other public speaking rules in mind: don't leave your hands motionless, make the right amount of eye contact with the audience, speak loud enough for people in the back to hear you, move around and don't stay rooted to the floor, don't use filler words, keep the audience engaged, don't look stiff, etc.

I made it through the class and got a good grade, but the whole experience was dreadful. They say practice makes perfect, and although I had multiple opportunities to practice my public speaking skills, my nerves couldn't be calmed. If my grade wasn't on the line and I wasn't forced to do it, I think public speaking wouldn't be a hurdle for me.

gadguy
03-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a personal experience I had with my public speaking class. I'm mostly a quiet type who doesn't speak unless I feel the urge to. I took a public speaking class one time and I think it did more harm than good. First, I was worried about my grade due to the fact that my teacher had very strict rules about how the presentations were going to be graded. During the presentations, no one was allowed to use flashcards. We couldn't stand behind a desk, podium, or a computer. Our visual slides were displayed on an overhead projector, and we could only change slides with a remote control while standing in front of the podium with the audience directly in front. It took me a great deal of practice to remember what to say, since flashcards weren't allowed. The presentations were also timed. My teacher didn't like them to be under the limit and we couldn't go overtime by too much. On top of that, we can to keep some other public speaking rules in mind: don't leave your hands motionless, make the right amount of eye contact with the audience, speak loud enough for people in the back to hear you, move around and don't stay rooted to the floor, don't use filler words, keep the audience engaged, don't look stiff, etc.

I made it through the class and got a good grade, but the whole experience was dreadful. They say practice makes perfect, and although I had multiple opportunities to practice my public speaking skills, my nerves couldn't be calmed. If my grade wasn't on the line and I wasn't forced to do it, I think public speaking wouldn't be a hurdle for me.

Good for you taking that step. I did same thing many years ago back in the 80's. I was terrified, but somehow I ACED the class and was one of the best speakers that semester. I also ended up having to take a business speech class, some years later for work, ACED it also. However I was a nervous wreck...dry heaved the whole hour before class and could not eat...somehow I survived as you did. Public speaking is easier when you don't have the worry about the grade, oddly enough its much easier when it is unexpected. I am a behind the scenes kinda of guy and I organize a lot of big functions and events for my company and other organizations, oddly enough i kinda thrive on that pressure. Anyway at an event the MC had an anxiety attack and could not go on and the MC was a professional, I guess it happens to everyone, I had to step in and MC. I was completely unprepared and felt like I was making a fool of myself, however the feedback I got from event were off the charts...apparently I nailed it. It amazes me what we are capable of when needed. Moral of story we are always harder on ourselves than others.

GOOD JOB.

tmex
04-17-2016, 02:56 AM
i was terrified at first but i got used to it

The Intolerable Kid
06-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Good for you, that is an extremely stressful situation. It sounds like you stayed within all of the rules and pulled it off, though. My own public speaking has been barely adequate at best.

Zena
06-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Great job. You should be proud of yourself for pushing through it. I'm still traumatized by a communications class I had to take a few years back. We had to do presentation after presentation. It was really, really difficult for me. My voice shook EVERY single time I had to get up and speak. My heart rate would increase and my palms would sweat. I was scared to death every time. It never really got easier. I got a pretty good grade in the end, though. It didn't kill me so I guess it made me stronger lol. Again, great job.