PDA

View Full Version : GAD: More like 'can't stop thinking' than 'can't stop worrying' - anyone else?

massiveclavicle
03-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi
I have had an anxiety disorder for years that drives me up the wall (mostly in terms of poor physical health/wellbeing from the exhaustion - it limits my life). I used to have agoraphobia/panic disorder but I haven't had a panic attack for years.

Thing is, I don't know if I would describe myself as a worrier as a much as a thinker. I do worry probably a bit more than other people - and about specific things (so I tend to feel over-responsible and will worry that other people are in pain so I will tend to be more cautious in the way I deal with people to make sure they are protected from anything that might upset them). I'm overall quite negative about myself, not because I believe myself to be flawed, but more because I expect myself to achieve very high standards.

But having said that, I know people who I would describe as "worriers" - people who are constantly anxious about everything - and I'm not like that. Though I am constantly stressed and tense.

What I have is just a lot of "noise" in my head. I find it very difficult to concentrate on the outside world because I'm so caught up in my thoughts. These thoughts aren't worries, though, they're just scenarios and they're often quite enjoyable. I might be pondering some theory or other I read, writing a story, composing music, or just daydreaming. My daydreams are very vivid and I can get very sucked into them sometimes for hours.

This doesn't sound too bad on the surface, but it's actually really stressful. I'm never relaxed - literally never. Everything hurts; I'm so exhausted. Basically, I think the reason is simply that my mind is travelling at a million miles per hour and it is less the content of those thoughts that is stressful and more the quantity of the thoughts - it's just kind of, loud...stressful...like being constantly overstimulated.

Most CBT self help stuff I read tells you to challenge your 'worries' - well, apart from the odd couple here and there I don't really have any worries. I can think of one 'what if' thought, which is 'what if this is all there is to life?'. That's the only worry I have, I guess, except for the times when I worry that people are in pain and feel I need to protect them.

Can anyone relate to this form of anxiety and have you found anything to help? I find mindfulness is amazing for the time I'm doing it. After meditation I have a good half hour or so of feelings like I'm actually in the real world and my body stops hurting/my heart beat calms down. But aside from literally meditating every hour I seem unable to keep it up throughout the day and the stress just builds up again.

Nowuccas
03-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Hey massiveclavicle,

When people become proficient in meditation, it often enables insight into their mental processes, so there is a part of their mind which is constantly observing.

If you catch yourself falling into your old thought patterns, you could begin by employing the technique for reprogramming negative thoughts.

Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now". You may prefer something like: "I choose to stay in the moment", or similar.

Using the above, with determination and persistence, they will reduce in frequency, but will always recur from time to time, which is normal, and healthy.

You could then use progressive muscle relaxation, ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever works best for you.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have anxiety / intrusive thoughts, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one on stopping intrusive thoughts.

massiveclavicle
03-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks.

As I say, the vast majority of my thoughts are not negative, they are actually very enjoyable, but they still take from my life as I'm not "with it" most of the time (just staring into the distance smiling according to those close to me...). This can make it a little more difficult to delay gratification from those thoughts and make myself stay in the moment when they offer immediate relief from the tedium of life, but I would prefer to be focusing on the real world. I think from what you are saying that becoming more proficient (more practice) at mindfulness will help over all and I like that statement of yours of "I choose to be in the moment". I think that will be very helpful, especially if I can remind myself that choosing to daydream hurts me in the end even if I enjoy it at the time (ha, I guess a little like alcohol or drugs...maybe I'm not anxious, I'm just an addict!!!)