PDA

View Full Version : How can I get over my fear of crime?

Non-linear
03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
I don't live in a super safe suburb, so there definitely is crime where I live, but I think my fear is still gotten to the point of being unreasonable. It's interfering with my ability to function because I will try and find every excuse to not leave my house, spend hours looking at crime maps, waste money on cabs because I'm afraid to wait at a bus stop etc. What can I do?

Nowuccas
03-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Hey Non-linear,

View: "When Fear for Your Safety Becomes Your Prison: Learning to Let Go and Live Again", at https://www.recoveryranch.com/articles/therapy/when-fear-for-your-safety-becomes-your-prison-learning-to-let-go-and-live-again/

Check out: http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHowTo?search=fear+of+crime such as:

How to Prevent Becoming a Victim of Crime: 15 Steps.

Consider taking a course in self defence, and carry a suitable defensive weapon, such as a taser, or capsicum spray. Carry a dummy wallet with some old ID and a smallish amount of money, like $35, and keep larger notes and credit card either in a money belt, socks, or shoes. Don't appear to be wealthy, and don't have jewellery, watch, or smart phone on display.

A previous post follows:

Systematic Desensitisation Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy have been shown to be effective in the treatment of phobia. "A fear avoided is a fear strengthened; a fear faced is a fear reduced". Also worth considering are hypnotherapy, particularly from a reputable professional hypnotherapist, and EFT. Give EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at * http://eft.mercola.com - or www.tapping.com or www.eftuniverse.com www.emofree.com or YouTube EFT - Professionally instructed is best. Google: "therapists; EFT, (your location)". There is a version for use in public places,* (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you massage/lightly tap your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have a fear of crime, I deeply and completely accept myself." as you employ the acupressure massage/tapping technique. Anyone from any country should closely examine the advice at the following websites, before beginning their search for a suitable therapist: http://1-800-therapist.com/index.html and http://www.metanoia.org/choose/

RECOMMENDED READING: Anxiety, Phobias, & Panic: A Step-by-Step Program for Regaining Control of Your Life by Reneau Z. Peurifoy, & Triumph Over Fear: A Book of Help and Hope for People with Anxiety, Panic Attacks, and Phobias by Jerilyn Ross, & The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition by Edmund J. Bourne, & *The Tapping Cure: A Revolutionary System for Rapid Relief from Phobias, Anxiety, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and More by Roberta Temes Ph.D., from your bookstore, Amazon.com or BarnesAndNoble.com and enter "phobia; media" in their searchbars for more.

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit of suffering. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?" Read: Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D., & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, from your bookstore, Amazon.com or BarnesAndNoble.com

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about overcoming fear and anxiety, or asktheinternettherapist.com has: Stop Fears and Phobias, CD, & MP3. Professional advice is to use only one, or up to a maximum of 2 at any one time.

The Intolerable Kid
03-06-2016, 02:49 PM
My suggestion is to obtain a concealed carry license (if your area offers such a thing) and carry a firearm. That's what I do. I don't have an irrational fear of crime, but my area offers the option so I took them up on it. Better to have and not need it as they say. Learning how to responsibly carry and fire a handgun might help ease whatever fear you are dealing with.

Ponder
03-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Dare I say. "Live by the sword, die by the sword."
PS - The statistics given on hypnosis are incorrect and somewhat discouraging. To find out more explore such avenues for yourself.

The Intolerable Kid
03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Ponder - "Dare I say. "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

I don't consider your response accurate because I don't "live by the sword." I am a businessman who has never harmed anyone. Owning a pistol is as prudent as owning a fire extinguisher. A more appropriate quote to illustrate my outlook on life would be Eowyn's "those without swords can still die upon them.”

Falcodj
03-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Fortunately I live in quite a safe country (small island actually). There are so e occasional hold ups ,robberies or other crimes etc... However even in your situation, you can never predict what will happen. Maybe tomorrow morning I might also end up being a victim of crime. The most important thing is to live your life. Obviously always be vigilant and try to avoid shady areas.

That is it practically, just watch where you go