PDA

View Full Version : worried about being anxious.. but not actually anxious?

Avia Juliet
02-28-2016, 02:35 PM
So I'm currently getting over a 9-10 day ordeal. I accidentally ate gluten (i'm gluten intolerant) and it triggered a very bad bout of anxiety. The worst was over in about 4 days, but I barely ate for a week. Last night was the first time I was able to eat a meal without feeling sick. So I'm feeling a lot better and getting back to eating normally. My anxiety is pretty much gone as well. This was probably the worst my anxiety had been in my life and it was very scary. So it's almost like I don't want to go places or do fun things because I'm worried that I'll feel anxious again.. I finally feel better and it's like it's too good to be true or something. I don't actually feel anxious.. just slightly worried if that makes sense? Has anyone had this feeling before? It's just a very odd feeling haha. I only JUST started eating again, and I know that in time this will go away but it just feels so weird. I feel like I get it mostly when I'm going to bed and when I wake up (when the anxiety was the worst i was waking up everyday feeling awful). Any tips on not worrying so much for now?

Fahrenheit
02-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I definitely relate. When you have had a bad bout with anxiety, you really don't want it to repeat. I relate both to the feeling of getting out of the anxious state and feeling like 'this is to good to be true' as well as the niggling fear that the anxiety will come back. I think, on some level, we just have to learn to live with the fact that sometimes we feel that way, and that even when we are better, it can always come back. But when I am well, I try to use that understanding as fuel to motivate myself to have habits that are good for my mental health, and take care of myself it ways that were a lot harder when I was mired in anxiety. I use it to not take for granted how lovely and easy just simple things like getting out of bed, eating, and sleeping can be.

As for minimizing that worrying about worrying - I think you need to take advantage of your mental health, and do the things (i.e. leaving the house, making plans with people) that are worrying you, because if you are in the good place you are now, those things will probably be fine. And the more you do those things and it is okay, the more you will learn not to worry, and can get back on track. And I think just really appreciating your mental health does on it's own help.

I know these are simple things, but I think at the point you are now, they will work. I guess it also comes down to relating to your anxiety, the fact that it happened, and the possibility that it might again in a matter of fact and not catastrophic way...try not to fear it, because that gives in power.

I am glad you are in recovery!