PDA

View Full Version : Cough syrup and meds??

kisstherain
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I have been taking Buckleys cough mixture and just now googled it to see if it would interact with the celexa and it said it can so I'm now kinda freaked out. I took my ativan this morning awsell and I'm getting chest pains still ugh. This drives me crazy.
Anone else use cough syrups while on AD's?

punkgod94
09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, I have. There's a lot of things you should "avoid" while taking certain anti-depressants. Especially if they're the old-school antidepressants known as MAOIs. SSRIs are the newer medications and are a lot safer, but there are still things you have to consider. If you're in doubt contact your pharmacy. That's the job of a pharmacist. If you're on Celexa and need cough medicine, they'll tell you which ones you can take (they may recommend a certain type of Robittussin over something else, etc.) Give the pharmacy a call, but don't worry if you've already taken it. You'll survive and be just fine!!

kisstherain
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
ahh thankyou :) Next time I'm in the pharmacy I will ask which would be best to take.
Yes I did survive, it did send me into a panic and ended up getting chest pains (ugh) but the ativan helped..

punkgod94
09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
No problem. I try to give quick answers to people whenever I can because I know that a lot of people on here can suffer a panic attack from such a simple question. I'm lucky enough that I've never had a panic attack, but if a simple quick answer helps to prevent or stop somebody else from having one then it makes me feel good that I could help somebody. You don't even have to go INTO the pharmacy to ask. You can just make a phone call and ask to speak with a pharmacist, and they should tell you what is OK and not. Glad to hear that you survived :) I had no doubt you would. But chest pains during a panic attack are very real and do NOT feel good....they just make it worse until you can calm down. That's why it's nice to have some type of benzo on hand like Ativan. If you suffer panic attacks frequently as opossed to regular anxiety or anxiety attacks you may want to discuss with your doctor if there's a benzo more suited for you. I believe there are some benzos that you can take in a wafer form that can be taken sublingually that will absorb into blood vessels under your tongue more rapidly than swallowing a pill and waiting for it to kick in. The problem of possible addiction is still there, but it's worth discussing with your doctor. Knowledge is power. Your doctor knows medicine better than you do, but you know your body and symptoms better than he/she does.

kisstherain
09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Thankyo so much punkgod:)
My doctor tried to precribe me the sublinguals but they were'nt covered by my plan, at least i have the regular ones though