PDA

View Full Version : Can't breathe

Jessicaleanne1992
02-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Ok I downloaded some apps that are supposed to relax you with guided breathing but they make it worse for me!! For some reason it makes me feel like I'm struggling to breathe. It's like I'm having to work harder to breathe and it's no longer just an automatic bodily function. I don't know. It's hard to explain. Does anyone else deal with this? It's scary.

Nowuccas
02-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Hey Jessicaleanne,

There are alternatives to the above that are well worth trying.

ALTERNATIVE VERSION OF MINDFULNESS BREATHING: Sit, or recline comfortably in a quiet, darkened room, but not in pitch darkness. Clothing and footwear should not be restrictive, and it should be at a comfortable temperature. Your fingertips should be facing upwards. Focus your attention at the place where your breath enters and leaves your body, preferably breathing regularly, through your nose. Any stray thoughts coming into your mind should be noted, then gently refocus your attention on your breathing. This should be done for at least 15 minutes, but 20 is best. In this method, you don't guide your breathing, merely observe your normal breathing.

THE VISUAL TECHNIQUE: Sit comfortably in a quiet room, at a comfortable temperature, with fingertips facing upwards. Ensure clothing and footwear are non restrictive. Gaze at a burning candle in a quiet, darkened room for 20 minutes (you can use a crystal, egg, mandala, religious symbol, or anything else of a similar nature you may prefer). See www.mandalaproject.org/ :- 23 pages of mandalas, including Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Yin/Yang, The Eye of Horus, modern and traditional motifs. Any stray thoughts entering your mind should be noted, and attention gently refocused on the gazing process.

Another method is to practise the technique at www.selfhelpmagazine.com/
Go to their Meditation room, select: "try it out", and: "mantra meditation". You can repeat any word or short phrase desired, like: "easy", "Things will get better soon", or "peace", or, for the traditionalists: Om mani padme hung sarva shanting kuruye soha. (“O Buddha of compassion and wisdom, may all these sicknesses be pacified.”). Any stray thoughts should be noted, and attention gently refocused on the process. All of these methods should be practised at least once, for at least 15, and preferably 20 minutes, daily, and when needed, but maximum results come from using 3 times daily, some hours apart.