PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm Heather, new member

heatherlee
02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been reading some things and have already started to feel a little better. Back in July i went to the ER because I was feeling funny. My heart was pounding, I felt hot and dizzy, basically like I was going to pass out. I had felt that way before, but had always been able to kind of breathe my way thru it and calm myself down. This time it was different and it really scared me, so off to the ER I went. Well it turns out I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and a thyroid condition. But it was a panic attack that sent me there. I was in the hospital for 5 days while we worked to get my blood pressure and blood sugar under control, and during that time I had 3 or 4 more panic attacks, so they started me on Ativan for the anxiety, which I still take. It seems to help at times, but I did struggle for months at first feeling like every ache or pain that I had was going to be another disease that could possibly kill me, in constant fear that the next panic attack was just around the corner and this might be the one to push me over the edge into complete insanity, or that it would happen at work or in a public place and I would freak out and make a fool of myself, But I kinda got into a normal routine after the initial shock and overwhelming feeling of a diabetes diagnosis and all the doc appointments and medicines and insulin and blood sugar checking 4 times a day. I started going to the gym and exercising, I've lost some weight and i was feeling really good. I thought I had it beat. But a couple of days ago the anxiety reared its ugly head again. I haven't had a full blown panic attack, but I've felt close. I'm a mess again. Crying, being afraid of dying, not wanting to go anywhere or do anything. Is this normal? Has my anxiety medicine stopped working? Is that possible? Is it possible to build a tolerance and need a higher dosage? I know this had probably been said a million times, but I just want to feel normal. I wanna live my life without fear and anxiety. And last week I was! I'm so discouraged now.

salvator here
02-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Welcome and I'm glad you've joined us here.

That is a lot to be going through, and I wish I had solid advice for you, but unfortunately I don't, so hopefully others will be able to relate.

I hope you find support here and meet some nice people along with way too.

Good luck!

heatherlee
02-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Thank you!

ecs4455
02-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Hi Heather,

Thanks for sharing your story. First of all let me assure you that your story is not unique, you certainly aren't the only one who's dealt with panic attacks and anxiety. So please take heart in knowing that millions of Americans struggle with anxiety just like you. In fact the American Association of Anxiety and Depression estimates that 40 million American's have dealt with anxiety related disorders. The AAAD also lists anxiety as the most treatable of all mental illnesses.

To give you my brief personal story I have dealt with anxiety issues and panic attacks at different times over the last 3 years. Fortunately one thing I can say is that no matter how bad I felt, or hopeless that things would never get better they always did. Just remember that how you feel right now is temporary, telling yourself that you will feel better always helps. Also, it is very normal to have all kinds of irrational feelings and thoughts when dealing with anxiety. So don't worry too much about the upsetting thoughts your brain is firing. I like to think of anxiety as the "disease of lies" because what we tell ourselves in our heads is always way worse than what could actually happen. Certainly obviously continue to follow your doctors advice regarding your diabetes issue. But as far as anxiety goes don't listen to all those thoughts. It's very natural to have all kinds of "worst case scenario" thoughts in our heads when we are in the midst anxiety issues.

I would recommend talking to your doctor about your anxiety issues and seeing what he/she says if you haven't already. They can certainly point you in the right direction for treatment, whether they think long term medication is the answer, or therapy, etc.

In the meantime I would recommend reading and learning as much as you can about anxiety disorders and panic attacks. As they say "knowledge is power". When you read about it and learn that your symptoms are very normal when relating to anxiety it can help to calm down all the worrying and panic thoughts.

Hang in there, things will get better. I can say that from firsthand experience.

Best of luck!

Other shoe
02-27-2016, 05:14 PM
You deserve to be happy. You are not out of the ordinary. We all have natural anxiety but some of us suffer from extreme reactions. Always remember that you are a sane person with fear. When we are scared everything in our bodies kicks in. The body also helps you calm down if you let it. Step back, realize some fears are irrational, and let the calm come. You don't deserve to feel helpless. Do some normal activities like cleaning or walking. The body calms down more when it is involved with daily activities. Sitting and worrying is the worst thing you can do. The anxiety only builds. You will be fine with time, just allow it to happen.

Ponder
02-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Hi Heather. Welcome to the forum.
Srry your not feeling so well. Don't give up on taking steps to improve your situation. Sometimes things get worse before they get better.

I really like what "Other shoe" has said:

You deserve to be happy. You are not out of the ordinary. We all have natural anxiety but some of us suffer from extreme reactions. Always remember that you are a sane person with fear. When we are scared everything in our bodies kicks in. The body also helps you calm down if you let it. Step back, realize some fears are irrational, and let the calm come. You don't deserve to feel helpless. Do some normal activities like cleaning or walking. The body calms down more when it is involved with daily activities. Sitting and worrying is the worst thing you can do. The anxiety only builds. You will be fine with time, just allow it to happen.
It's different for different people - however this advice given here is sound and works well for me. Going to the gym, starting to eat healthy and going off in search of doing things I like have taken time. During that time whilst for the most part feeling improvement taking place, my body and mind has and still is undergoing a purification process akin to the unsettling and discomfort that detoxification brings.

I simply refer back to the advice I quoted above, courtesy of "Other shoe"

Thanks Othershoe ... Hello and TY for your advice.

heatherlee
02-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Thank you everyone!!!