PDA

View Full Version : Weening off of Lexapro..advice?

gadguy
02-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Hello all, I got the go ahead yesterday from DR to start weening off of Lexapro..he wants me to do it over a 3 month period. I am currently on 20mg a day and will be going to 10mg starting today for a month. Any advice? I started lex when I was probably 40-43, I am now 50, so its been awhile. Hoping this works and I can cope...my goal is to be med free by end of year. THANX.

Anne1221
02-23-2016, 07:27 PM
I am very sensitive so I have to go slowly when tapering off. I would probably go from 20 to 15, and then down to 10. I think a three month period sounds like a good goal. They do have Lexapro in 5mgs.

Nowuccas
02-24-2016, 03:02 AM
I suggest moving from 20 mg to 15, then 10, 5, and possibly 2.5 mg. There are liquid versions that are ideal for this purpose; check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=lexapro%3B+liquid&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Many people find that it is easier to switch to a similar dose of another SSRI, Prozac, stabilise for a while; say 2 weeks, then wean off it at 75%, 50%, then 25% dosage every 2 weeks.

Nowuccas
02-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Deleted double posting of above.

gadguy
02-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Hello all, I got the go ahead yesterday from DR to start weening off of Lexapro..he wants me to do it over a 3 month period. I am currently on 20mg a day and will be going to 10mg starting today for a month. Any advice? I started lex when I was probably 40-43, I am now 50, so its been awhile. Hoping this works and I can cope...my goal is to be med free by end of year. THANX.

So far so good. Monday I started with 10mg of Lex, down from 20mg. Prior to that I had missed 4 days, about my limit to go without( I kept forgetting to refill) I think this may have helped in transition. Anyway although it just been 4-5 days on lesser dose, I'm feeling good, actually I feel like I have more energy and less foggy. Admittedly I was OCD about my home being spotless, before the starting on Lex, some of that is back, which is not a bad thing...can't wait to clean garage this weekend!!