PDA

View Full Version : Are non stick cookwares cause serious health issues?

Leacock
02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
I found this article on healthy cooking pans and I became a little bit conscious about cookware health.
I heard from some one that cooking and eating in nonstick cookwares will lead to cause of cancers in long shot. Is this true? I use less oil or no oil to cook dishes which if not in non sticks will burn the bottoms of the vessel seriously. After learning about non sticks I am scared to cook in them. Please suggest me alternate to nonstick or some good brands of nonstick which assure no health issues to customers. Thank you.

Nowuccas
02-19-2016, 01:54 AM
I have recently thrown out my teflon coated frypan, and bought a ceramic coated one, although cast iron is also acceptable. See http://cookware.mercola.com/ceramic-cookware.aspx which I would have preferred, but it was too expensive for my budget.

Any frying should be done only with coconut oil, as it is temperature stable. Frying with olive oil destroys any health benefits, so only use it cold, or warm. Macadamia oil is also fine, but not cheap (not for frying). You can also use beef fat (lard / dripping) for frying, although it lacks the health benefits of coconut oil (around 50% lauric acid, antibacterial and antiviral). http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/10/15/cooking-oil.aspx refers.

Avoid all high temperature cooking, charring, or smoking as it markedly increases the amount of carcinogens produced. Remove any burnt bits.

Ponder
02-19-2016, 04:06 AM
When it comes to heat and destroying food, consider using a steamer. Many will not exceed the "apparent" temps at which the destruction takes place. Steamed fish, and chicken is easy to do and you can put on a few veggies at the same time as well as a little rice all in a 3 tier unit. Quick and Easy and no grease at all.

Other than giving up Junk food, steaming was the next best step when it came to doing less damage to ones food. Each to their own. When I do use a pan, I'll cook on as low a heat as possible. When it comes to getting the most out of food, start at the source ... get the less processed meat and avoid cheap grain fed beef. That shit will kill you no matter what the temps!

Dahila
02-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Teflon is gone from my house for over two years, I have ceramic pans, but I do not use them much. My hubby does. I prefer slow cooker, and pressure pot. If we fry anything it is on CO or lard which has the highest smoke point

Ponder
02-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I think a slow cooker would be good for my digestion Dahila. Hmmmmm? Especially when eating red meat hey?

Dahila
02-19-2016, 06:16 PM
I think so Mr. P:) I love slow cooker, today I put the chicken thights, spices, onions, sweet potato (I ate them all) it is delicious. When you eat red meat make a medium rare and chew it very well. I think maybe veggies , raw or slightly cook do not agree with you....... What blood group you have?

Ponder
02-19-2016, 10:18 PM
When eating RAW - I just make sure I Juice them. (my fancy cold press one :) ) Your right though, steaming them has been easier for me. Light steam. I also still like making soups. Glad you mentioned the slow cooker. TY