PDA

View Full Version : Panic at doctor office

WMMCGRATH2000
02-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have panic attacks at the doctors office? *I had one last time and I have an appointment Thursday and have worried about it everyday for a month. *I'm nervous about the appointment in general and specifically anxious when my blood pressure is taken? *Totally afraid I might have another panic attack. *I made an appointment at a different doctor office hoping it would help. *Any suggestions?*

Dahila
02-15-2016, 02:46 PM
welcome to the forum. I got a question; why did you make 3 the same threads? Everyone is panicky at doctors office, they call it white coat syndrome. I get so anxious when I put my sleeve on, and measure it (I suffer with high blood pressure for years, I am on meds for it).

salvator here
02-16-2016, 12:38 AM
The only place I get really bad panic attacks is at the dentist office (usually in the dentist chair when I see the needle). I've had my dentist prescribe meds ahead of time, and he said it makes things go much easier this way. I think doctors expect this and blood pressure can be slightly higher when it is (initially) checked. Why are you freaked out though even before your appointment? I know anxiety can cause it, but maybe you need to find another doctor. Good luck :)

Dahila
02-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Having panic attack in docs office is not so bad, he have some meds in office like Ativan or xanax ;))

Ponder
02-16-2016, 08:41 PM
When I first arrived in this town, I blew the lid off the place at one doctors office being unable to contain myhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/to-quote-smiley-emoticon.gif "panic" attack. My name was "flagged" with the local police and other medical facilities - the incident mentioned later at another doctors office.

Shit happens, then you have to move on.

BUT - to answer the OP - YES ... I struggle a lot when going to any medical facility. I'm pleased to say that I am getting much better with this now. We often use such places to highlight our condition and end up create something that really need not exists. I no longer allow such places to effect me like so - I also accept the fact that it's not any circumstance that leads me into such a state, but more a case of coming to accept its up to me how I allow myself to react.

Alternatively, I have found I do way way better living a much healthier lifestyle and learning for myself what my body needs. I have my own views on GPs which I have shared many times in here. Now that I care little for the advice they give and only go to acquire what I decide I need, I am better able to endure the indignity one often has to go through in order to receive.

People in waiting rooms I consider nothing more than a challenge - where once it was always a life draining affair. I use ear buds to ignore the brainwashing from the Tv's. I'm done ranting on those episodes as well. ;)

Adios.

RoderickLariviere
02-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Yes, it is very common in the beginning. Don't worry about the panic attacks, you will feel better after 2-3 meetings..

Ponder
02-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes, it is very common in the beginning. Don't worry about the panic attacks, you will feel better after 2-3 meetings..

It's a rather subjective affair. Took me years. Whilst it really all comes down to the person in question, your optimism may be seen as encouraging. I must thank you for the laugh. I really needed one. TY http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/dogs/laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Intolerable Kid
02-19-2016, 06:24 AM
When I was about to have cervical spinal surgery in 2004 and I saw the tools they were going to use all laid out (drills and saws) I probably would have except they had already started me on the sedation meds. Seeing that stuff is about the last thing I remember, thankfully. After that it was just a lot of pain during a long recovery.