PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction fear

Helpeachother
02-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone

I've been suffering with the fear of having an allergic reaction for years. I need to have dental work done and I'm afraid of the injection due to possible allergic reaction. I even used orajel which contains (I think) some of the stuff they use in the injections.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Dahila
02-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Oh stop it!!! I am allergic to so many things and I do not make problem of that. Ask your doc to send you for tests to check what you are allergic to. Do you have history of allergy? In your family?
Have had any allergies. If three times NO, you must find something else. Welcome to the forum

Helpeachother
02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Oh stop it!!! I am allergic to so many things and I do not make problem of that. Ask your doc to send you for tests to check what you are allergic to. Do you have history of allergy? In your family?
Have had any allergies. If three times NO, you must find something else. Welcome to the forum

Saying "oh stop it" on an anxiety forum doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Thanks for the input though.

Dahila
02-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I have a health anxiety too, most of people here have it, but most of people have some symptoms that causes their fear. I perceive you as a young, very young person, so maybe it would be better not to be on forums like that. They do not help, but whatever you do, read the boards and there is a lot of good information on sticky threads. :)

Helpeachother
02-15-2016, 09:19 PM
I have a health anxiety too, most of people here have it, but most of people have some symptoms that causes their fear. I perceive you as a young, very young person, so maybe it would be better not to be on forums like that. They do not help, but whatever you do, read the boards and there is a lot of good information on sticky threads. :)

Forums like what? I'm not sure where you're going with your reply but Regardless of age, we all come here for the same reason. Not sure what age has to do with anything. Thanks again lol

Nowuccas
02-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Hey Helpeachother,

I agree that you could have skinprick tests for many of the most common allergic reaction inducing substances; I'm unaware whether the novocaine type anaesthetic that dentists use would be included, but if not, perhaps your dentist would be prepared to prick the skin of your arm, and apply a drop of anaesthetic to the spot, a day or more before the scheduled dental procedure, as an allergy test.

Have you had allergic reactions to anything in the past, such as antibiotics? If not, consider whether your fear is actually of injections with a hypodermic needle; TRYPANOPHOBIA, or VACCINOPHOBIA is the extreme and irrational fear of medical procedures involving injections or hypodermic needles. It is occasionally referred to incorrectly as aichmophobia, belonephobia, or enetophobia, (Fear of Needles).

It sometimes develops into a phobia, often from seeing a hypodermic needle as a child, before vaccinations/dental procedures, then experiencing pain, and coming to associate the sight of needles with pain; wanting to avoid the pain, resulting in the development of a phobia. Systematic Desensitisation Therapy is known to be an effective treatment.

Check out http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHowTo?search=fear+of+needles such as:

4 Ways to Overcome the Fear of Injections, &

How to Overcome Your Fear of the Dentist, &

How to Get an Injection Without It Hurting: 13 Steps.

I am informed that children are less likely to complain if they are given something sweet (it probably helps them get their mind off it). Some people ask to lie down for their shots. Others ask where it will be administered, and to be told just before, so that the person about to have the needle can smack that place, after which that tiny pinprick has considerably less effect: (the nerves which transmit pain have already started work, from over a considerable area, and the pain messages of the small additional amount of pain, from a very tiny area, tend to get flooded by the others).

Obviously this can't be used for dental procedures, but you could explain your phobia, and ask that they touch the sites for the injections with a tool, and you could could jab them lightly with the top of a pen, or pencil, to desensitise yourself. It may help to look away, and think of something pleasant, and promise yourself a nice reward, once it is over. Check out: http://www.emla.com.au I'm sure there would be similar lignocaine type dermal anaesthetics available locally that you could apply to your skin beforehand, to numb it. Google: "dermal anaesthetics; supplies" or ask your pharmacist, or the place providing the procedure.

As someone who doesn't like them, either; I consider that it is mostly the anticipation of pain, which is the problem, and once you take that away, by inflicting a little bit on yourself, the "shock value" is gone, in a similar way to how you can't tickle yourself. View: http://www.needlephobia.info/#treatments & http://www.anxietycure.org/

Read: "Overcoming Medical Phobias: How to Conquer Fear of Blood, Needles, Doctors, And Dentists", by Martin M. Antony and Mark A., M.D. Watling (Paperback - Mar 3, 2006), from your bookstore, or Amazon.com has various other media about overcoming fear of needles.

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, quicker, cheaper, and more conveniently: http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com has: Cure Needle Phobia.

James88
02-17-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm the same way. I hate taking new medications. Also struggled for awhile before I got my wisdom teeth removed. The needle didn't bother me, but the medication was terrifying. Some advice I can give you, make sure that the dentist is equipped to handle an allergic reaction in the unlikely event that it happens. Pick a dentist in an area you're comfortable with (near a hospital, etc.).

I know it's tough, but you'll be ok! I felt so much better after mine were removed.