PDA

View Full Version : New paralyzing fear (dentist)

DJP
02-08-2016, 10:21 AM
I've been going to the dentist my entire life for a wide variety of things. I never had any problem, and the procedures were long and invasive (root canals, implant, etc.).

About 6 months ago, the dentist injected me with novocane before a procedure and the epi went right into my vein and sent my heart racing. It was terrifying. I let him know right away and he said to "walk it off." That certainly helped, however, since I am one of the anxiety prone, my crocodile brain has anchored a racing heart rate with being in the dentist chair. They have switched to a non epi novocane for me, but alas, the damage has been done. Telling myself that I've had nearly hundreds of procedures done with no issue is not working. My appointment is in 3 hours and I am going to take Xanax to get through it. I want to take enough to really put a damper on my flight or fight response. My prescription is for 0.5mg - I use it sparingly, and as a last resort. That dosage will take the edge off, but it will not suppress the physical sensations. Any recommendations on how much to take? 1g? I simply want to survive the procedure in tact.

Mohammed Nasreldin
02-09-2016, 12:48 PM
U may want to change the dentist to another one with bright colors room and once you enter there think positive.

DJP
02-16-2016, 09:55 AM
It actually worked out fine...took the dose that I mentioned above. I still had the mental fear, but no physical symptoms.

salvator here
02-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Good to hear, dentists are aware of the panic and seem to have no problem with offering this type of meds before the visits. I have to take something as well. I think it makes things go smoother - both for you and them. Now, why are dentists being so hesitant with meds for pain? Oral surgery is painful! I've noticed this especially within the last 5 years, they're treating everyone like drug seekers/addicts and its not fair.