PDA

View Full Version : Loud Thoughts

MAM090982
02-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Anyone experience loud thoughts? Is this anxiety? OCD? Is it normal? It is hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it but my thoughts seem loud, like my mind, is repeating random things, loudly, and it is scaring me, like my subconscious is loud. Help? :(

salvator here
02-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Yes, I get loud thoughts (intrusive thoughts), and they can be relentless at times. Could be anxiety, but most likely not the OCD (isn't helping though). I have those nagging racing thoughts especially now because I'm bipolor and off my medication...so I'm also struggling with this, but they do pass though if you don't fight with them. I recommend quickly dismissing them; rather than validate them.

Nowuccas
02-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey MAM090982,

Because I have no idea of what information or techniques that forum members are aware of, I often attempt to provide some on natural treatments that seem appropriate, and suggest that you try the following:

Nearly everyone has negative thoughts sometimes. Negative thoughts often occur before negative emotions*. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, etc., by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Use the "Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts" - When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now", or "I choose to be more positive". I prefer: "Focus only on what to do now/next".

Recommended reading: Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive by Barbara Fredrickson, & Negaholics: How to Overcome Negativity and Turn Your Life Around by Chérie Carter-Scott, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?"

Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D.

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.
Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogSearch?cx=008953293426798287586%3Amr-gwotjmbs&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=negative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.
The key is persistence; over time the frequency and power of the negative thoughts will lessen, but will always recur occasionally, which is normal, and healthy.

Another technique is EFT.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I have loud thoughts, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

If the former technique proves ineffective after a week of consistent application, try EFT.

jessed03
02-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Tackling individual anxiety symptoms is always really difficult. Almost all of them are manifestations of too much stress, so can only really be reduced by lowering stress. (Easier said than done, I know!)

Loud thoughts was one symptom I also had, too. At night, when everything was quiet, they'd become so loud that they'd pretty much wake me up.

There's been some good advice in here already, so not much to add in that respect. Just wanted to give you a shoutout and let you know that what you're experiencing is normal when one has anxiety, and is likely to go as you take control of your life again.

MAM090982
02-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Thank you Salvator Here. I appreciate you responding. I wish you the best with what you are experiencing. Did you get off of your medicine on your own, or doctors request?

MAM090982
02-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Thank you Nowuccas. You gave me a lot of great information. I will try it all, until I find a "cure", or at least a way to live with this, and not be scared, in a panic, or wanting to give up. I want to beat this disease. I want to win. I have been struggling a while, I would hate for it to win now. :( I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and with great detail.

MAM090982
02-08-2016, 05:45 AM
Thank you Jessed03. Just knowing I am not alone slightly eases my mind. With anxiety symptoms, especially ones that make you feel crazy, like you are losing it, etc, you feel alone, like you are the only one this has happened to, that it is here to stay forever, and you will never go back to "normal". How do the manifestations get there? I know stress from work, and hormones have a great part in my anxiety. Not many people understands what loud thoughts are. Its like I want to turn down my inner voice, my response, and I can't. :( How long would it last for you?

salvator here
02-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Thank you Salvator Here. I appreciate you responding. I wish you the best with what you are experiencing. Did you get off of your medicine on your own, or doctors request?Thank you so much MAM090982. No, I did the unthinkable and just needed a break from the never ending cycle of pill madness. I have done this before and usually do alright for a few months and need to go back on at least 1 of them. Sometimes if things are not especially stressful in my life, I can deal with my moods naturally for longer.

I'm okay though - back to you:

I'm not sure what to recommend, but as far as the inner voice (sorry, I didn't even know how to put that), as I said, don't fight with it, but self talk is ok to a point. Its strange though, when you start giving the voice less attention, it will start to nag you less and less. I also think its from too much stress. I also have a hard time de-stressing at bedtime. Maybe calm music...? I hate to recommend pills really, but I guess if they are needed, they serve a purpose. Good luck!

MAM090982
02-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Thank you. It is weird, but people say self-talk is healthy. I am just having a hard time doing it. I think too much already, so "talking back", to our own voice, our own thoughts, is weird, but if it helps, I will try anything. I would pay anything for this to go away, and go back to being "normal". Thank you. I pray I beat this disease. I don't want it to win.

Ponder
02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Here is my outlook when the walls are closing in and I have no space to breathe:

The mind is a thought machine. Coming to understand the process purely from a technical and analytical point of view will do little to stem the tide. However coming to accept and in turn discover myself for whom and what I really be, amidst a world that seeks to control what I think and feel - well, I got to say that for me, that's been the most liberating and mending of practices I have undergone, and when not so actively seeking; am better able to recover/to "receive."

Loud thoughts are like symptoms I feed and that others entertain. I learn to quiet them through focusing on the main points and finding out what it is that I can do to resolve what's in my head, and not the thoughts in someone else's. As a borderline paranoid time bomb with a long standing clinical history of take a pick mental head case, and of trying most of the rehashed methods often talked about in places like this ... the best method I have found that works - is being real with self. Forget the tick and flick, diagnosing and prescription merry-go-round; if you want to quieten those thoughts, get yourself a good pair of headphones AKA switching off, stop analysing and take a deep breath.

Read Power of Now by eckhart tolle - that book does a good job talking about loud thoughts. Although I had to listen to the audio book several times whilst out walking. As I did, I crafted my own pair of magical headphones that help tone down all the BS going on inside my head; as too ... took my attention off all that being flung about, outside my space.

Shhhhhh arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Self empowerment ... it's the only way to go.

PS - 99% of people can be hypnotised, the other 1 percent simply do not want to be. - We are ALL born into suggestion. The so called "secret" is more about learning to discover yourself and how to open up to what you really want. (how to stop resisting) All else it pure contention - the driving force of the mind that inherently seeks to control. Give that book a good read - eat it several times ... either your at a place to receive it, or your mind still has more grinding to be do.

Dahila
02-08-2016, 06:12 PM
the 1% people who can not to be hypnotized, are the ones with trust issues:)

salvator here
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM
I'll be honest, you guys have me a bit concerned, because I consider myself to be a guy - very in touch with my mind and thoughts, and I've never been able to be hypnotized. Maybe it is my trust issues then...ugh!

MAM090982
02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I hate being paranoid. What do you listen to turn it off, and get your head back on the positive thinking and positive noise? I didn't think anyone would understand what I meant about loud thoughts. Thanks for the tip on the book.

Dahila
02-09-2016, 07:18 AM
I'll be honest, you guys have me a bit concerned, because I consider myself to be a guy - very in touch with my mind and thoughts, and I've never been able to be hypnotized. Maybe it is my trust issues then...ugh!
I am a woman, old woman and the best one in Europe could not hypnotize me:)) . I do not like when someone takes control of me. You could hypnotize yourself, it may help or not, I had not work on me. Meditation does. Salvator I would not worry about it;))

Mamma I would think everyone knows what you are talking about. We all have thoughts we hear loud and have difficulties to control. As long as you do not hear voices you are fine:)) Try meditation. There is tons of Guided meditation on youtube. Do something for yourself.

MAM090982
02-09-2016, 04:14 PM
No everyone knows what I am talking about as they don't have anxiety, ocd, etc. I do not hear voices, just my own, my thoughts, they are very loud, repetitive, etc. I have never tried meditation. I just want to be reassured this is normal for anxiety/ocd. That is why I started this post.

Dahila
02-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Mama I would guess that most people here know what you are going through......

salvator here
02-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Thank you ~ Dahila. I won't worry too much about it then, though I should have said I can't be hypnotized "anymore". Only 1 time I was and it was both an enlightening and troubling experience for me (one I'd just assume forget really - long story) so, I'll just try to get in touch with my subconscious in other ways.

Actually, I'm dying to tell you the "long story" but its really hard to talk about, and will bring about deep and painful things I'm trying to bury from my past. Maybe in due time.

MAM090982 ~ Reading over what you've written so far, I do think I am getting what you are saying. I didn't think you DID mean voices in the classic sense, I don't have those either (I count my lucky stars), but a nagging inner voice (this I have as well). I'm gong to be really honest here and say the unthinkable; I think we all have an inner voice that can nag during times of anxiety, stress increases it. Best not to "ignore it" but dismiss it quickly because its not really you. I'm not sure if meditation would help, but certainly worth trying.

Dahila
02-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Salvator, burying your past does not work well, I know it from my life. I do not want to talk about my past, I do not know how. It did not do good to me, My long life filled with misery and pain. Please, do not do it to yourself. Facing the past can help. try meditation:) I am huge believer in it:)