PDA

View Full Version : I've been disassociating every day for the past few weeks.

scrissle
01-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Hi. This is my first post, and I suppose I should've introduced myself first thing, but I'm extremely bothered by something and very much want any and as much help as I can get.

So, for the past few weeks, I've begun to disassociate every day––sometimes twice a day––for hours on end. It usually ends after a few hours, and then I feel fine, but during, I'm relatively miserable. I guess it's not a huge problem, but is uncomfortable, distracting and makes focusing such a chore. And honestly, it makes me feel a little anxious. I've been switched from Lexapro to Zoloft recently, for depression and anxiety, and it's working great against the anxiety (the depression comes and goes, but it's at least helping), but I'm not sure if the Zoloft could be why this is happening. Sometimes it happens after I take it, sometimes it happens when I take it late. I'm in the middle of an episode of dissociation right now, and I'm not sure what I'm exactly asking here...I guess I'm hoping someone can provide a possible explanation or at least some advice on how I can come out of it faster or at least be less bothered by it. I know it's not a dangerous sign of anything else, and I'm probably upset over nothing, but I really just wish I knew what was going on.

Also, sorry if this isn't in the right board or if this is an annoying question...or if it's asked a lot. I just really want some advice.

Anne1221
01-29-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm curious as to why you're switching from Lexapro to Zoloft? I take Lexapro and have wanted to try Zoloft just to see if it's better, but the Lexapro is working pretty well, so I keep sticking with it. I have never disassociated but I have felt very, very weird when I am in a very anxious state. As soon as my anxiety comes down, I feel better. My doctor uses a benzo called Tranxene when I am anxious and it helps.

scrissle
01-30-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm curious as to why you're switching from Lexapro to Zoloft? I take Lexapro and have wanted to try Zoloft just to see if it's better, but the Lexapro is working pretty well, so I keep sticking with it. I have never disassociated but I have felt very, very weird when I am in a very anxious state. As soon as my anxiety comes down, I feel better. My doctor uses a benzo called Tranxene when I am anxious and it helps.

I was switched from Lexapro to Zoloft because after about a year, it stopped having much of an affect and I was getting depressed and anxious again. I told my doctor and she just prescribed Zoloft. I feel like it's working a lot better, to be honest. I'm a lot happier save for a couple down points that ultimately go away with just a bit of distraction, and I'm definitely less anxious. So all things considered, I think it's a great medicine.

Snakeadelic
02-02-2016, 07:38 AM
This should be a great place to seek advice. There seem to be a couple of long-term users who come across as pessimistic and unhelpful, but they're very much in the minority.

Depending on your exact definition of 'disassociating', you might be talking about a mental place I spend most of every day! I'm very lucky in that I do not have kids to raise, partners (it's a weird story, trust me) who require intense attention, or a job to try to keep (I've been placed on SSI as my diagnosis is generalized anxiety disorder and my prognosis is 'degenerative'). I very rarely have to deal with much of the world outside my apartment building (4 units), and when I'm extra-stressed and can't even handle my partners being in the room with me, I shut myself in my computer/hobby room and either rove the internet learning about animals and rocks or go for my creative writing files, an activity that my weird li'l family group understands as "beating the living daylights out of my imaginary friends". I was still in high school when one of the shining treasures of their teaching staff suggested I write for stress relief since I can't go to jail for committing heinous acts on fictional people :D.

The only psych med I take is diazepam. We have a 16-year relationship that has been remarkably free of problems--I can and do stop and start with it at will and as needed, no addiction trouble, no side effects worse than making me sleep too much. I can be fairly sure depression isn't a major part for me; I only get depressed after serious frustration or bad news and I have a history of responding very poorly to anti-depressants. Paxil, of all things, just about killed me! MD and psych prescriber have both said no more SSRIs for me, and after I described my experience with tricyclics they put a ban on those as well (things like Imipram).

Anne1221
02-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Scrissle, how are you doing now? I hope you're feeling better.

salvator here
02-21-2016, 02:25 AM
I'm also wondering how your doing, Scrissle, I've been hesitant to ask as I wasn't sure if you were staying here or comfortable posting anymore.

I've been disassociating everyday myself. I don't know though, it's now always that bad for me (sometimes I'm actually ok with it so long as its positive and helpful - I just can't be posting here). I'm sure I could post exactly what I experience and 'where I go' when I do, and I'd bet for others its much the same. For those of us that struggle with this, we know it all too well. I'm not working right so I can just go with it, but if I did have responsibility, I'd be screwed really.