PDA

View Full Version : Questioning reality

nm21
01-27-2016, 05:04 AM
Hi

I've been suffering from what I deeply hope is anxiety for a couple of months now and wanted to ask if anyone else has ever experienced this or something similar because it's scaring me quite a lot. It all started one day when I was on the bus chatting to my friend (in a very anxious place anyway but what I would pass as 'normal anxious worries'). I turned to look at the guy opposite who is alway talking to himself and I suddenly had the thought of "oh my god... what if that's me...what if i'm just blabbering away to myself and she's not really there?" I knew it was irrational but the thought brought so much panic I experienced my first real panic attack. From then on the thought came up more and more. For example when i'm in the supermarket and walking past someone I question and panic as to whether they're really there and worry it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Every time i think/wonder it I panic. It's even affecting how I interact at work now. I continue as normal because the logical side of my brain knows it's in my head but I'm in a constant state of panic and anxiety because of these thoughts. They're there all of the time and I can't stop questioning everything. I'd really appreciate some support on this if anyone has gone through something similar.

jessed03
01-27-2016, 10:17 AM
"What if" questions are the basis of anxiety.

"What if this pain is a symptom of something more sinister?"
"What if I go to the party and nobody talks to me?"
"What if this isn't a panic attack but a heart attack?"

Any time you're asking yourself a what-if question in a casual setting, you can be pretty sure it's anxiety related.

Truth is, you can't win the battle against what-if questions, because nobody can see into the future and nobody can reassure themselves against every single crazy possibility out there. So, rather than play that losing game, play your own one, instead. Turn questions of anxiety into statements of faith - because you're fine. The only thing wrong with you is your anxiety disorder is driving the car, and it's not supposed to do that. You just need to get yourself to believe you're fine.

When you find yourself asking a what-if question (or thinking something that resembles one), take the opportunity to stamp on the anxiety and plant a seed of faith and reassurance there instead. Remind yourself you're fine and the mental gymnastics you're partaking in are silly. Make the commitment not to play stupid anxiety games that drain you of your time and energy.

When my OCD was at its worse, I would often remind myself I didn't need to engage in my compulsions because they were false. They weren't going to take me anywhere. They were a symptom of an over-reactive brain and would soon settle down. Despite urges to engage in them, I did everything I could to resist. After all, it's not true faith unless you act on it.

Things won't improve instantly, but once your subconscious mind truly believes you're fine, you'll be fine.. Faith and reassurance will start as that small seed, but will grow into a garden - if you allow that to happen.

To make your feelings of faith stronger, picture yourself multiple times every day walking through the world with no problems at all - completely careless. Feel the positive emotions these thoughts bring and enjoy them. Feel your love for the world in this vision. Feel the love for your family, your partner, and your friends as you imagine enjoying their company in perfect health and reassurance.

Emotion + faith is so incredibly powerful. Throughout history it's often been the difference between life and death. Make this simple formula work in your favour. Right now, it's probably working against you. Your emotion, anxiety+ your growing unhealthy belief is making you feel bad. Change the elements in the formula and the same powerful outcome will occur, this time for the better.

Breez
01-28-2016, 03:29 AM
"What if" questions are the basis of anxiety.

"What if this pain is a symptom of something more sinister?"
"What if I go to the party and nobody talks to me?"
"What if this isn't a panic attack but a heart attack?"

Any time you're asking yourself a what-if question in a casual setting, you can be pretty sure it's anxiety related.

Truth is, you can't win the battle against what-if questions, because nobody can see into the future and nobody can reassure themselves against every single crazy possibility out there. So, rather than play that losing game, play your own one, instead. Turn questions of anxiety into statements of faith - because you're fine. The only thing wrong with you is your anxiety disorder is driving the car, and it's not supposed to do that. You just need to get yourself to believe you're fine.

When you find yourself asking a what-if question (or thinking something that resembles one), take the opportunity to stamp on the anxiety and plant a seed of faith and reassurance there instead. Remind yourself you're fine and the mental gymnastics you're partaking in are silly. Make the commitment not to play stupid anxiety games that drain you of your time and energy.

When my OCD was at its worse, I would often remind myself I didn't need to engage in my compulsions because they were false. They weren't going to take me anywhere. They were a symptom of an over-reactive brain and would soon settle down. Despite urges to engage in them, I did everything I could to resist. After all, it's not true faith unless you act on it.

Things won't improve instantly, but once your subconscious mind truly believes you're fine, you'll be fine.. Faith and reassurance will start as that small seed, but will grow into a garden - if you allow that to happen.

To make your feelings of faith stronger, picture yourself multiple times every day walking through the world with no problems at all - completely careless. Feel the positive emotions these thoughts bring and enjoy them. Feel your love for the world in this vision. Feel the love for your family, your partner, and your friends as you imagine enjoying their company in perfect health and reassurance.

Emotion + faith is so incredibly powerful. Throughout history it's often been the difference between life and death. Make this simple formula work in your favour. Right now, it's probably working against you. Your emotion, anxiety+ your growing unhealthy belief is making you feel bad. Change the elements in the formula and the same powerful outcome will occur, this time for the better.

Hi

I've been suffering from what I deeply hope is anxiety for a couple of months now and wanted to ask if anyone else has ever experienced this or something similar because it's scaring me quite a lot. It all started one day when I was on the bus chatting to my friend (in a very anxious place anyway but what I would pass as 'normal anxious worries'). I turned to look at the guy opposite who is alway talking to himself and I suddenly had the thought of "oh my god... what if that's me...what if i'm just blabbering away to myself and she's not really there?" I knew it was irrational but the thought brought so much panic I experienced my first real panic attack. From then on the thought came up more and more. For example when i'm in the supermarket and walking past someone I question and panic as to whether they're really there and worry it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. Every time i think/wonder it I panic. It's even affecting how I interact at work now. I continue as normal because the logical side of my brain knows it's in my head but I'm in a constant state of panic and anxiety because of these thoughts. They're there all of the time and I can't stop questioning everything. I'd really appreciate some support on this if anyone has gone through something similar.

Great advice and thank you for sharing. I also practice mindful meditation for the past 2 years and it has helped me a lot mentally. In term of whatifs, my take on it is, instead of thinking "what if bad things happen to me when I do this?" I can choose to think "what if good things happen to me when I do this?" Just by changing one word, the question has become much more positive and possible. It's really a matter of changing your mindset and choose to have a positive outlook.

Good luck and it you ever need advice, please share!