PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Time- New Job Woes

sae
01-16-2016, 04:49 PM
I decided a few months back to join the workforce after 2 years of allowing my anxiety to keep me indoors.

I took a seasonal assistant manage job at a theme park over Christmas. I felt like I did pretty great at that job. It was far more physically demanding than I could keep up with most days, but somehow I kept running. I dealt with typically angry people, unsatisfied customers, a handful of employees, money, repair and anything else. There were only a couple times I felt truly overwhelmed.
This job requires much more one on one interaction. In this environment I freeze. I forget the procedures, misfile documents, say the wrong things. I am almost certain to be fired before long. I can do the work, but I can't seem to do it right.
I know anxiety is causing a lot of the issues, anxiety over my car troubles which sometimes make me late to work, anxiety over saying or doing the wrong things, which makes me say or do the wrong things.

Should I just cut my losses, quit and try to find another job, thus admitting defeat, or do I keep on going knowing I will eventually be fired anyway? What I want more than anything is to retreat into the comfort of my home and never leave it again, but unfortunately hermitude does not pay for health insurance.

snowberry
01-17-2016, 12:25 PM
It depends. Do you otherwise like this job? Is it something you feel you would like to try and get better at?

If not, then I'd consider looking elsewhere as, fired or not, the job doesn't fulfil you anyway and you ought t look for something you enjoy.

If you do like the job, then you need to figure out exactly what parts you seem to get anxious around and, maybe with a therapist, find out ways to cope with your anxiety in those situations. Besides, you've only been there a couple of weeks - you still have time to turn things around and make a better impression.

If you regularly have car troubles, try and leave the house earlier than you normally do in order to allow for any issues. You may have to do this for some time until you can get your car repaired/replaced. By being on time, you will at least start the day off on a good note and that will help you feel less anxious as the day goes on.

Remember that the more time you spend at the job, the more you will get used to the place, its ways and its people, and over time you will naturally begin to relax somewhat. When you start to feel anxious about doing something, take a deep breath, clear your head, and start again. Your employer will expect you to make mistakes in your first few weeks, just don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

sgil
01-17-2016, 12:26 PM
If you quit your anxiety wins. Yes, you may find a new job soon after, but chances are that you will feel the same way about the next one. I find it hard myself, but you need to keep on going and not let your brain win.

Is it possible that you are just down on yourself, and that you're not on the verge of being fired? For all you know you could be doing a fine job, but are just down on yourself.

STICK WITH IT!