PDA

View Full Version : Many Mental Health Professionals And Workers Have Been There Too

MainerMikeBrown
01-01-2016, 02:57 PM
When I first went into treatment, I was a little surprised to find out that many psychiatrists, therapists, and mental health workers have had issues of their own with mental illness in the past.

And I was talking to a guy recently who thought that mental health professionals couldn't relate to the issues he's going through because he thought that the vast majority of therapists and psychiatrists had never had issues with mental illness themselves... until I told him that most mental health professionals actually have had the same sort of issues themselves.

I also know a lady who is studying to become a therapist who has never had issues with mental illness herself. However, she had a relative who did have clinical depression who committed suicide a few years ago. And that's a big reason why she wants to become a therapist.

So if you think that shrinks can't relate to your issues, be aware that many of them have been there themselves.

cloudy black
01-01-2016, 03:52 PM
oh yeah.. that can be a good thing or a bad thing. bad if they haven't dealt with it in themselves and i have seen the results of this and it is very damaging. and good if they have managed to make progress within themselves. they have the ability to be compassionate and patient i believe. and they have an aura of calm and you dont see much of that in a MH hospital...

the ones that cant relate usually experience burn out and or the sack! text book knowledge can only get you so far. but in the real world of knocks and bruises.....